Looking at some Tahoes and denalis

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking for some input good or bad.2001-2004.Thanks Crap wrong section.Can this get moved to towing please?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
We have a 2003 Suburban 5.3l with 370,000+ miles on it. That is what we to the boat with and it is solid. Other than towing it is my wife's daily driver.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Had a 2001 Tahoe, It would pull 6500# withouth whining too much, but that was after a new transmission (the Tahoe weak link (M30). Be sure to check tow ratings based on the axle ratio actually in the vehicle you're looking at. Can be as much as 1000# diff between 3.73 and 4.10. Anything higher may not even be on the charts ... ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Bought a 2001 tahoe new. Now has 147k on it. Factory heavy tow package. Pulls the boat (#5400) fine with 600' of elevation change over 30 miles. Struggles with the horse trailer (#6000, large frontal area) in the same terrain. Overall, I can complain. It mets my towing needs.

Don't get me started on the vehicles electronic systems. Absolute junk. Door/ hatch locks went out at 100k. Side mirrors shortly thereafter followed by ABS system. Went out to use the truck last week and the cable to the rear window defroster was hanging. Connector fell/ broke off window. Drivers side door lock has been flakey for a while. 50/50 if you have to use passenger side door to get in truck.

Oh ya..forgot about disabling the alarm system. It alarmed anytime you open the truck using the key or remote.

Ming15237

Seaman
If it was my choice I would buy a used Toyota Sequoia in that age range vehicle. I own a repair shop, and I will tell you in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, that the Toyota is of significantly better quality! I have owned all three vehicles, a 1997 Lexus LX450, a 2003 Sequoia, 2008 Tahoe, and a 2010 Yukon Denali, both of the Chevy's have latterly fallen apart! Their engines have not given us any issues, but he transmissions did in both GM's shat the bed one at 40k another at 70k. The Denali does have an awesome motor with the 6.2, the power was quite up to the task at towing whatever I wanted. The seat heaters on the Denali blew out at 42k, the fuel pump failed in both trucks, and numerous electrical issues with both vehicles. Not to mention the brake and fuel lines rusting away on the Tahoe, that was a $1500 repair! The Lexus was sold with 280 on it and never saw a tow truck, or had any transmission or engine work of any kind done on it. The Lexus also had a TRD SUPERCHARGER on it which adds a significant amount of stress to the engine, yet it ran like a clock till the day it's new owner picked it up. The Toyota was sold with north of 250k on it and it was still running strong. Toyota replaced the frame for free due to rusting when it was 10 years old! Let's see GM or Ford stand behind their product like that! Now are moving on tool and infinity QX56 or back to a Lexus LX570 for the wife's new kid mobile. You will Surely have people come on here and bash one vehicle or another, but from a professionals standpoint there is no comparison between these four suv's. We always say in the automotive industry, "You can pay up front, (the initially higher cost of purchase.) or you can pay later, (as in steep, and continually reoccurring repair bills.) but either way, your going to pay." The plus side of the Toyota's is that they hold their value very well and you will recover a significant amount of your money when you go o sell them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am curious if you actually towed with the Sequoia. The tow rating for it is 6500. I used to drive one a lot but never towed. It is not the most powerful motor in the world. I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to use it to tow my 24' Wellcraft. I use a 1/2 Chevy PU which has the same drive train as the Tahoe and it does fine. I like Toyotas a lot and have owned many of them. Not sure the Sequoia is one of the better tow vehicles out there until you get the newer one with the 5.7L engine. Also, Sequoia's have had major transmission issues in the past especially in the early 2000s

My sister in saw has a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with 250K miles and has never had one issue including transmission.

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I think what you're looking for is fine. Your tow weight may help with the choice. Denali has a 6.0 vs the 5.3 in that vintage, and for those years may be significant if you're 6k lbs or so. Regardless of what you're told, trans is the weak link in these. Do not buy one with a rebuilt trans. It'll be hard to find one around 100k for the service interval, but if you do get the filter changed. Also, test drive it like you stole it and get a 2-3 shift to happen over 4000 rpm and look for a flare. Another option is to get one in good shape otherwise and set back $3500 for trans replacement. We tow with an 03 Escalade esv we got 2 yrs ago and it tows my boat well. If you can get autoride, you will love it. Also, wait til summer, around here anything 4wd is worth more when the snow flies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My 1/2 Silverado has a little over 70K miles on it. I do regular transmission fluid and filter changes on it. When I do my fluid replacement, I am replacing all of the fluid in the transmission and not just what is in the pan. I also do not let the transmisiion downsfift contiuously when going up hills. I make sure I downshift manually early on and keep it in a lower gear going up hills. My belief is that you can get a lot more life out of these trannys by treating them right while driving and in regular fluid changes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My belief is that you can get a lot more life out of these trannys by treating them right while driving and in regular fluid changes.
I would have to agree. Dealer fluid change and flush every 40K miles.

Use Tow haul mode and no overdrive. On top of towing, the tranny has dragged that truck thru heavy beach sand for hundreds of miles. 147+K miles and has never missed a beat

mattb100

Cadet
They were also available in 2500 with 6.0 and 4L80, gas hogs for sure but great pullers.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agree about a 3/4 ton. They may look like the same truck but underneath they are completely different. Much more stout for towing.

P.S. You realize denali is more of a trim line these days instead of a model like yukon or tahoe, right?

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
My 6.0 sees 13 mpg towing and 17 not. I had the "lean cruise" turned on to help with my hey mpg. The Denali and Escalade are the same as the others, except with AWD instead of 4WD and they have the 6.0 or 6.2 depending on year instead of 5.3

I agree with trans service, but make sure filter is changed with the fluid or you can develop pressure problems.

rjbergen

Cadet
I own my boat with a friend and we tow it with his 2004 Yukon Denali with the 6.0L. I'm not sure what axle ratio is has, but it tows well. He is starting to have electrical issues though. Driver's seat adjusters are whacky, CD changer is on the fritz, etc. He's also replaced the transmission around 100k.

I have another friend who has a 2003 Yukon (not Denali, but not sure on trim level), but I'm not sure what engine or axle ratio. He's towed a 25 foot camper with it and had no issues. However, he's having even more electrical issues than my co-owner. This Yukon has lost the ABS computer, lost the driver's door power lock actuator, and several other electrical issues. The transmission is fine for now, but you can tell it is wearing.

One caveat is that both of these vehicles were driven by my friends during high school and college. They both drove these vehicle from 16 to 24 years old and they drove them like they stole them. That likely didn't help with the transmission.

bspeth

I am a little unclear on the transfer cases on these.There is 4wd AWD and 2WD does anybody know if the AWD has a low range?I assume the 4wd does but not sure.

thumpar

Admiral
Our 2003 Suburban offers both AWD and 4WD. The only "low" option is in 4WD. I don't know why you would want AWD low mode. The tow mode really helps out so make sure you get it. The transmission will not shift so much when you are towing with it.

bspeth

Theres some spots I like to get to that require 4low,after I have a look at the running boards.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Theres some spots I like to get to that require 4low,after I have a look at the running boards.

Can't see the need for "4low" to get anywhere. Geared way too low.

Stump pulling yes... Cross terrain no.

thumpar

Admiral
"Low" is meant for high torque at low speeds. AWD is kind of an automatic 4WD when it is needed. I can't think of a place where "low" AWD would be needed.

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is going on with the transmissions in these? I thought GM made one of the best auto transmissions out there. My oldest kid is going to start driving next year and I was considering something like this as a 3rd vehicle.