UFP DB42 caliper rebuild. Worth it?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just purchased a new used 2001 boat that came on a nice Zieman trailer with UFP disk surge brakes. The master was leaking a little so I have ordered a new replacement. The original was steel and had some rust in the fluid (the replacement is aluminum). I have flushed the fluid and it is clean now but I have a feeling the rust/moisture/sitting around has slightly damaged the seals in the calipers. One of them seems stickier than the other. They do not leak. For $25 I can get 2 new pistons and seals. Is a caliper rebuild a waste of time?

Other options include 2 new DB42 calipers for $100. Or new DB35 calipers/rotors/bearings/seals for $250 which seem like a sensible upgrade. We tow with a Lexus RX400h so we need all the braking help we can get :). 3500 lb limit with a 3000 + lb load. Thanks

http://www.easternmarine.com/UFP-Trailer-Disc-Brakes/

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a rebuild is never a waste of time, I consider it normal maintenance. brake fluid is hydrogropic (absorbs moisture) by nature and should be changed every 1-2 years as normal maintenance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a rebuild is never a waste of time, I consider it normal maintenance. brake fluid is hydrogropic (absorbs moisture) by nature and should be changed every 1-2 years as normal maintenance.

I would first pull apart what you have. in most cases you would only need to clean out the crud. however if the trailer has never had routine brake service, then I would order rebuild kits.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would upgrade to kodiak disc with ceramic pads and never look back. They make UFP calipers look like toys

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled one of the calipers apart today and it looked new inside. I was surprised as the master was full of orange mud. Thanks

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Final update. Replaced master cyl over the weekend. Bleed air out and trailer is stopping with twice the force as before. The clunk pulling away from a stop is now gone. Also, I am no longer able to back up at all. Not even an inch on a perfectly flat road. The trailer has the electric bypass valve but my truck did not have the wiring. I will wire in a 5 way plug before I go out again. thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Replace your brake fluid every 2 years and you will have a lot less issues with both the master cylinder and your calipers.