What is a good trailer jack?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have just gone through yet another trailer jack and need one that will last longer than a year and not be so hard for my family to use. So what do you guys like? I have no use for a tire on the bottom on my boat because you cant move it anyway, but if its all I can get than so be it. My dad has one with 2 attachments on the bottom, one with a plate and one with a tire. Not sure what my tongue weight is but the boat is probably in the high 4000# range and its a tandem trailer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what is the mode of failure with your current jack?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
its a bolt on that I probably bought at West Marine. No idea on the brand. I let the moron there talk me into it. It lasted less than a year.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It bolts to the beam with u-bolt looking things around the beam.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It is extremely hard to crank, but I just lived with that, but the tire just fell apart today. I set it down and the tire just came apart. It doesnt necessarily have to swing, as long as it has enough travel and doesnt take me all day to crank it up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Fulton and Bulldog make good jacks. Get a larger capacity than you think you will need.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Not sure what my tongue weight is but the boat is probably in the high 4000# range and its a tandem trailer.????

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have bought a 1200#-1500# capacity jack for your application. they do make 400# which are sold at west marine for $40 The fulton 1000# - 1500# jacks are in the $120 range with the F2 jacks being a bit more.

with a 4000# boat and a 1200-1500# trailer you probably have a tongue weight of 500-550# range.

however if it is just the wheel, replace the wheel. they sell new wheels which are under $20

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've had this one on my trailer for a little more than a year and have been highly satisfied. I live on a barrier island off the NC coast and salt air is always a concern. It hasn't fazed this jack yet. As for capacity, all that jack has to support is your tongue weight... 10-12% of your total boat/trailer weight. Figure in a fudge factor and order accordingly. My boat's tongue weight has to be 250-300 lbs at the most or I wouldn't be able to lift it by myself.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've had this one on my trailer for a little more than a year and have been highly satisfied. I live on a barrier island off the NC coast and salt air is always a concern. It hasn't fazed this jack yet. As for capacity, all that jack has to support is your tongue weight... 10-12% of your total boat/trailer weight. Figure in a fudge factor and order accordingly. My boat's tongue weight has to be 250-300 lbs at the most or I wouldn't be able to lift it by myself.

Yeah, not lifting mine. 2 of us trying to get it on the ball last year when that one broke and we couldnt lift it. We had to use a floor jack. That is why I am not interested in just replacing the wheel. It is useless. No matter how hard you try, or how smooth the surface, you cannot move it on that wheel.

I actually bought a fulton rated for 2500# square tube bolt on without a wheel. That should do the trick.

Thanks for all the input guys.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I never use a wheel. I welded up a foot for mine.
IMG_20140422_080617.jpg