Roller Replacement

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
I currently have very old (original) rollers on my trailer. I would like to replace them all. I see rollers like this but not with the same center. Does this mean I would need to replace the entire assembly. If so, will i need to drill new holes to match the new assembly? Hopefully my question makes sense.

roller.jpg

mercurymang

Woops. I meant to put this in the trailer section. Oh well, maybe someone on here knows the answer.

EDIT - Moved it, MM. GA_B,

Last edited by a moderator:

mercurymang

There are 3 11 1/2" rollers and two 5" rollers.

Yes, I would like the V rollers.

Do you mean what size shaft do I currently have on there?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
First, I can't figure out what your question is

Second, I don't see ANY reason to replace the roller in the picture

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I don't see ANY reason to replace the roller in the picture

Have to agree smoke. I have seen many trailers in my lifetime but I can't recall ever seeing one that uses shafts like that one. All I can say is good luck finding an exact replacement.

UncleWillie

Captain
It dosen't look look they have been lubricated in years!
Pull them apart, clean the shafts up with Scotch-Brite or 320 Sandpaper.
Coat them lightly with 24C Grease, and reassemble.
They should roll again like they were new.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
THIS^ also clean the oxidation from the outside of em up too and you will probably find the free rolling clean rollers don't mark up your hull nearly as bad....

Also STILL don't know what you are asking in your first post.....

mercurymang

It dosen't look look they have been lubricated in years!
Pull them apart, clean the shafts up with Scotch-Brite or 320 Sandpaper.
Coat them lightly with 24C Grease, and reassemble.
They should roll again like they were new.

I showed them to my brother in law last night and he made the same comment. Maybe that's all i need to do.

Smoke, here's the deal. This boat is a 74 and I think the rollers are original. The one i have off at the moment actually has a flat spot. Almost every time I trailer the boat, I have issues. Usually when taking the boat off the trailer, it will get cockeyed a bit and the keel will come off the roller and sometimes i'll get a nice long gouge in the hull.
I noticed that some of the rollers don't roll well so I figured i would replace them. However, I have not seen roller setups the same as mine (ie, same bracket and center shaft width). So that is the first question. Does anyone know if you can still purchase this type of roller assembly or replacement roller?
Second, is it possible to get a new assembly that matches the bolt patter I currently have or will I have to drill holes in the trailer to make it fit.

Hope that is more clear.

64osby

Admiral
Have never seen one with that large diameter sleeve. If cleaning makes it work then don't worry about it.

If you do replace it a new hole set up will be required.

You mention the keel slips off the roller, Is your trailer set up correctly? Have any pics of the set up you are using?

mercurymang

Have never seen one with that large diameter sleeve. If cleaning makes it work then don't worry about it.

If you do replace it a new hole set up will be required.

You mention the keel slips off the roller, Is your trailer set up correctly? Have any pics of the set up you are using?

I'm going to clean them up and give it a shot assuming I can get out on the water again this year. I guess, I'm not sure if the trailer is set up correctly. I assume it is. Perhaps i have the trailer too far out of the water when I'm loading and unloading. Maybe I just need to experiment with different loading depths. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow of my setup and post it up.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
ok understand better now..... yeah pretty much would have to start from scratch n get creative.... I'm gonna say that if you get em rolling well and don't back in near as far since it will now load better you will likely do better AND with small boats move your body to the center well before you reach the trailer... this will do two things... first you will level the boat and it will meet the trailer better and second you will approach the trailer straight foe the first time ever... when you sit to the right side you naturally sight across the point of the bow and will consistently approach the trailer too far to the right and will at the last minute be correcting left putting the stern way off to the right and very often this results in the bow going off the left side of the trailer.....

Don't believe me, leave your boat on the trailer and walk down the ramp... you can watch boat after boat come in and either cross up or bounce off the right side bunk or guide post before settling in..... I've seen as many as 9 out of 10 do this.