Tongue Weight

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was wondering if there's a rule about proper tongue weight, assume will vary accordingly to boat size and weight, right ? I'm finishing a trailer for a 14.5 footer rib with attached OB which weights around 250 kilos (Rib + Engine), Somebody said that 10-15 Kilos at tongue would be more than enough. No issues moving single axle accordingly to achieve this weight. Are these numbers good enough ?

Happy Boating

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Around 10% of the total weight of boat, motor and trailer, fuel and gear.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
plus battery and any and all items placed in boat.

I don't know how much a kilo is but you could probably fairly safely assume that batt, gear, and trailer would weigh as much as this particular boat and motor and double it to 500 of those kilo things lol thus 50 on the tongue weight..... BEST bet is to scale it and know for sure tho,

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks, to be sure will scale the whole rig. Probably just 500 kilo (2.2 Lb x Kilo) so 50. Would you need to place a scale to be exact about tong's weight ? Won't that be to much weight on hitch that might stress car shock absorbers if towing with a compact car just on flat roads and short distances?

Happy Boating

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes to the scale and maybe, maybe not to the other.... My BMW 330 has a hitch rated for 1500 lbs gross and 150 lbs of tongue weight...... Maxed out it doesn't even phase the car even at 70 plus mph but then maybe you are towing with a much lighter car?.... read your manual or consult your dealer.... What is your car or your hitch rated for?

personally I wouldn't be caught dead driving anything so small and flimsy that is couldn't handle 100 lbs on the rear... heck my motorcycle can handle more than that