Replacing Trailer Hubs

I have a 16.2 Princecraft Holdiday Deluxe with a 50 HP Yamaha outboard. The bearings were replace just before I bought the boat 2 seasons ago. I trailer the boat a fair ways each year and even though there are no issues with the bearings heating up, I'd like to have the bearings done for next season. Here's the question>

I could probably do the bearings myself, but I've never done that job so I'm not 100% confident. I'm was in Princess Auto today and saw replacement wheel hubs with bearings for $50 a piece. I'm thinking I could just buy 2 new hubs and swap them onto the trailer, then take my time in the shop over the winter and replace the bearings in the old hubs. For $120.00 I'd have a spare set of hubs and be able to easily repeat the swap out / rebuild cycle every fall. I've heard that yearly replacement of trailer bearing is good preventative maintenance. - Any thoughts

I'm also wondering if there is a lot of variation in the quality of bearings? I asked the guy in Princess auto and he said the bearings included in the hub kit were pretty good quality.

Last question - any thoughts on what my boat and motor would weigh? Specs say 200 pounds for the motor, 640 pounds for the boat. About 1000 lbs fully loaded ?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I you never got water into your hubs, there isn't a reason to change them.

dozerII

Admiral
Having a spare set of hubs is never a bad idea, especially when traveling. If you don't mind spending the money your on to a real good idea there. I carry a spare hub when ever towing.

oldjeep

Admiral
I you never got water into your hubs, there isn't a reason to change them.

x2. Take them out, inspect them and then regrease them if there is nothing wrong. No reason in the world to be replacing 2 year old bearings unless they are damaged.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't matter if the trailer is a 1988. Still no reason to replace bearings if they are fine. Just so you know, you need to properly adjust the bearing pre-load when the hubs are replaced or the hubs are disassembled, cleaned, re-packed and reinstalled. Improper bearing adjustment is yet another cause for bearing failure. Lastly, of course the dude at the auto store would say the bearings are a good quality. Chances are he/she really has no idea.

rjbergen

Cadet
I would just clean and repack with new grease. Probably put on a new seal too. The process is super simple.

Loosen tire lug nuts, jack up your trailer, remove tire. Remove axle castle nut and remove hub. Clean bearings and hub of old grease and repack bearings with new grease. Reinstall everything. That's overly simplified, but it's the gist of it.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Buying the new hubs won't save you from doing the exact same job as just re-packing the bearings. Unless you have an issue, no reason to replace the bearings.

Yes there is a difference in quality of bearings. I did my hubs last year. The bearings and seals that came with the $50 hub and bearing combo were no where near the quality of the National Bearing's from the auto parts store. I used the cheap bearings but used the good seals from the autoparts store to help keep the water out.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
It doesn't matter if the trailer is a 1988. Still no reason to replace bearings if they are fine. Just so you know, you need to properly adjust the bearing pre-load when the hubs are replaced or the hubs are disassembled, cleaned, re-packed and reinstalled. Improper bearing adjustment is yet another cause for bearing failure. Lastly, of course the dude at the auto store would say the bearings are a good quality. Chances are he/she really has no idea.

I think you may have James confused with the original poster.

thumpar

Admiral
I think the price is kind of high unless it is for both sides. The manufacturer of my trailer offers hub for $24.95 each with bearings and all. That is for a trailer up to 2500lbs load.

robert graham

Admiral
Northern Tools and similar stores offer spare hub/bearing/seal kits all greased and ready to go for about $28.....nice insurance for towing....