2011 Coastline Aluminum single axle trailer rusting.

dalealan

Cadet
This trailer is built in Seadrift Texas and appears to be of high quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. It has a torsion galvanized axle, I believe made by Dexter and used in saltwater only.

There are orange stains on the inside of the galvanized wheels and it appears to be rust stains coming from inside the square galvanized tubing where the axle stub goes into the square tubing with the rubber pieces which gives it the torsion action. This is the only thing that is not either aluminum or galvanized on the trailer.

I have yet to go by the dealer, but talked to a lady there (I don't think she knows a boat trailer from a utility trailer) and seemed to think this was not right. I agree that this is not right and need to find out where the rusty water is coming from and why is it rusty.

My question to the group is: Can salt water get inside this square tubing and be draining out causing the rust stains? Wouldn't the inside of the square galvanized tubing be galvanized as well as the outside? Could it be the axle stub inside that is rusting, the exposed part of the torsion axle show no sign of rust?

I am scratching my head and hope someone can explain just what is rusting. Of course the dealer will eventually get involved but I would like to be armed with good info before I get there.

Thanks Dale

tpenfield

Staff member
Even a galvanized trailer will show some signs of rust, particularly coming from some concealed areas. So, I do not see a big issue. What is your expectations of what the dealer will say/do? Any warranties that apply to rust in effect on the trailer?

dalealan

Cadet
IMG_5946.JPG IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5945.JPG IMG_5940.JPG IMG_5949.JPG IMG_5938.JPG IMG_5953.JPG IMG_5954.JPG IMG_5955.JPG tpenfield

I am concerned about the rusting because it is coming out of the square tubing axle where the torsion arm fits into the square tubing, this torsion bar is supposed to be sealed and water should not get into the square tubing axle. The square tubing does not go level to the other side, there is a downward swag to the axle, it drops down about 3" or 4" for about 24", this swag maybe to also fit a deep "V" boat so the hull would not hit the axle in the center. If it is okay to get water inside the axle then a drain hole at the bottom of the swag would allow water to drain out. It appears the salt water is leaking into the square tubing axle and staying in this swag until you drive home, it cannot get out except the way it came in right where the torsion arm goes in. Okay what is rusting here, seems to me the inside of the square tubing axle would be all galvanized, then the torsion arms with the rubber are mounted last. The wheel hubs are not rusting, the torsion arms outside are not rusting, the rusting is coming from inside the tubing, dripping down onto the inside of the galvanized wheel and slinging it up under the fenders. It is either the inside of the square tubing axle or the torsion bar stub that goes inside the sguare tubing axle. There is nothing else to rust period. So, how long will the rusting pieces last, maybe forever but I doubt it. If the square tubing eats through driving down the road there will be serious damage to the trailer, boat, and maybe truck. I would also bet you will never know it until it breaks. If the torsion arm breaks out of the square tubing, again serious damage. Plus there is serious rust stains on the inside of the wheel and under the fender, it looks like hell! I take very good care of my equipment and this to me is not acceptable. By the way there is no rust anywhere else on the trailer. The trailer has been in the water approx 30 times, center of the wheel deep, about 3600 miles, 3 1/2 years old, and seriously rinsed and washed each time. If still in doubt PM me and I will send you several photos showing exactly what I have tried to put in words. I tried to put them here but I must not be smart enough.
Dale

Last edited by a moderator:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Does look like ferrous oxide.

Wrong color, rust doesn't "sling". Typical color when zinc has been exposed to a mild acid solution.

Thalasso

Commander
Does look like ferrous oxide.

Wrong color, rust doesn't "sling". Typical color when zinc has been exposed to a mild acid solution.

was thinking the same when i saw it slung on the fenders

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Looks like muddy water. Wash it off and then keep an eye on it.

dalealan

Cadet
Whatever the orangeish looking stuff is, it will not wash off. I took a steel brush to the galvanized wheel and got some of it off. It looks like rust to me. I don't know what ferris oxide is.

The axle is filling with salt water on unloading and loading the boat. If there was a hole drilled in the bottom middle of the swag, lowest part of the axle, then the water would drain out and probably dry out over a period of time Since it must come out where it got in, (and there is no hole to drain the water) which is where the torsion lever fits into the square tubing axle. On the drive home the roads are crowned so the water sloshes out of the right side of the axle, it dribbles out at highway speed landing on the inside of the galvanized rim and it slings it off under the fender, there is a distinct line under the fender all the way around. there is also no rust in the center or spoke area of the galvanized rim either. The left side has very little rust showing compared to the right which is where the photos were taken. There is no way all of the water can come out of the ends unless I parked sideways on a very steep incline. Since there is always some salt water in the axle it has at least a month to rust and become very very rusty and may account for the color. The original information I have is that this axle is sealed so water cannot enter, so if no water can enter there is no need for a hole drilled at the lowest point in the center of the axle.
I must assume the axle is faulty and allowing salt water to enter the axle and cause the rusting. I also know the trailer is warrantied for 1 year and the axle 2 years. That's not a bad warranty, for them.
I am is contact with the trailer maker, the boat builder who provided the trailer as a package, and with the folks who make Dexter Axles. I guess we will see how it all shakes out. I am certainly not happy or satisfied with the product.

Dale

reelfishin

Captain
What is most likely happening is that when you back into the water, saltwater gets into axle tube, which is galvanized. The torsional axle inside is not galvanized and made of strong high carbon steel. Since it wears against the rubber inserts its not galvanized. Its also square so there are no seals in there. If you were to tear that axle apart, (which you can't), you would see a square axle with four round rubber inserts which provide the torsional resistance. The square inner axle shaft is most likely what is rusting, along with the inside of the tube which most likely isn't as well coated as the outside of the tube.
What is happening is normal, like it or not that axle will rust inside over time.
Personally I don't think much of that sort of axle on a boat trailer that gets dunked in the saltwater, there's just too many places to corrode inside that you cannot control. Anything you do in the way of rust prevention would also likely damage the rubber inside that axle.
Pretty much what your dealing with is just part of the cost of using it in saltwater. If wish, try a mild solution of rust stain remover to clean up the wheel but be very careful of getting it on any aluminum parts or anything polished. Once its clean, wax or clear coat the area that's getting stained, it won't stop it but it will make cleaning it up easier next time. A light shot of wire wheel cleaner will work too, but be aware that too much of this will also eat away at the galvanized coating.

tpenfield

Staff member
You could go to the hardware store and get some "Iron Out" . . . it should make the discoloration disappear immediately.

dalealan

Cadet
Okay, some follow up on this problem.

Dexter Axles will not warranty the axle, it is three years old. It is rust, plain and simple, the torsion arms that go into the square tubing axle can not be sealed and have allowed salt water to stay in the dropped part of the axle. It has rusted in there and when you drive it makes its way to the torsion arms where it came in and drips out. The moving wheel slings the rusty water up under the fender and stains it. There is no aluminum rusting anywhere on the trailer. It is all coming from the square tubing dropped axle where the torsion arms come out. The stains are RUST, the photos may not be the right color, but it is RUST stains. It stained the inside of the galvanized wheel (it is not rusting, it is stained).

In 2012 Dexter began drilling a hole in the center bottom of the dropped axle area to drain the salt water. So today I drilled the hole and got a cup of the ugliest looking rusty salt water that smelled to high heaven. Made a fitting hooked to the garden hose and flushed out the axle and it was coming out all around the torsion arms. So now part of washing the boat is flushing the axle after each trip to the coast.

Have talked to lots of folks about torsion axles on boats used in salt water and it is probably not a good idea. It is probably impossible to actually seal the torsion arms from allowing the water into the square tubing axle.
I think with frequent flushing the axle will last a long time. Now I'm looking for some Iron Out to remove the stains around the axle, wheel, and under the fender. Once that is cleaned up and I flush the axle, there will be no more rusty stains anywhere.

Congrats to Capt. reelfishin who pretty much had it figured out. Also Dexter Axles were very open to my inquiries, apologized for the axle not being in warranty, and in general were very helpful to resolving this. I will be watching the axle for any signs of failure due to rust in the future.

Thanks for all the ideas
Dale

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
How about drying the torsion tube good fill it with rust reformer drain it and let it dry then fill with some sort of rust resistant paint ,drain and let dry.
Perhaps rig a reflector flood light to warm the tube to help drive out moisture .

Bondo

Staff member
Take a "wire brush" for a drill and clean the rust off the hub and the torsion arms... Then use Rustoleum self etching primer and paint to match.

Have you ever heard of "Fluid Film" ?.... After the paint has cured good and the next time you take your boat out, I would spray Fluid Film on the areas that was showing rust!

I use Fluid Film all the time on my farm equipment and tractor attachments.... I also use it on my snowplow.. The snow won't stick to it and after the snow season, I spray the blade and leave it out in the rain/weather and the next season, the Fluid Film is still on there! :)

Do a Google search for Fluid Film

Ayuh,..... Ditto that,..... Stick the little red tube into any cracks, or openin', 'n douse 'em Good with Fluid Film,....

I buy the spray cans by the case,.... The more ya use it, the more uses for it ya find,....

Neat stuff, frees the Most rusted stuff,... then stops rust from happenin',....

'course My 2nd choice for the above application, would be,.....
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Grease,....