Electric Brakes

Jerem0621

Cadet
I'm easing myself back into boating. My previous single axle boat trailers didn't have brakes. I am coming from an RV so I fully understand the value of brakes on a trailer.

My future boat trailer will have electric brakes on it.

My question is...do I need to go electric over hydraulic or can I use standard electric trailer drum brakes?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are a few things to consider when choosing brakes. How big is the boat? What type of a tow vehicle? what type of terrain will you be towing in?

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm easing myself back into boating. My previous single axle boat trailers didn't have brakes. I am coming from an RV so I fully understand the value of brakes on a trailer.

My future boat trailer will have electric brakes on it.

My question is...do I need to go electric over hydraulic or can I use standard electric trailer drum brakes?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

M 2 cents. If you have about $1.5K to go to electric over Hydraulic, do it as you can run disks and have maintenance. If you want to save about $1k and don't mind a little extra maintenance then go straight electric. I went straight electric and have no regrets (certainly wouldn't go back to surge).

oldjeep

Admiral
M 2 cents. If you have about $1.5K to go to electric over Hydraulic, do it as you can run disks and have maintenance. If you want to save about $1k and don't mind a little extra maintenance then go straight electric. I went straight electric and have no regrets (certainly wouldn't go back to surge).

Huh? You can get electric disc brakes.

UncleWillie

Captain
Huh? You can get electric disk brakes.

"Electric over Hydraulic" are electrically actuated Hydraulic Disk brakes.
The Electric Brake Controller in the cab, controls the pressure generated by a Hydraulic Pump on the trailer tongue.
From the tongue forward it is electric. From the tongue aft, it is hydraulic.
As stated, it will add about $1000 to the cost. Not cheap!

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
"Electric over Hydraulic" are electrically actuated Hydraulic Disk brakes.
The Electric Brake Controller in the cab, controls the pressure generated by a Hydraulic Pump on the trailer tongue.
From the tongue forward it is electric. From the tongue aft, it is hydraulic.
As stated, it will add about $1000 to the cost. Not cheap!

No kidding.

Jerem0621

Cadet
Thanks everyone! I am going to go with the standard drum brake that I am familiar with on my future boat. They do require periodic adjustment which is no biggie since I am use to the. They work very well once adjusted correctly. Surge brakes are not for me.

Once you are use to a good proportional brake controller and being able to control the trailer from the cabin...it's just gives a good tow.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Volphin

Lieutenant
Electric brakes would do you a fine job. You can easily upgrade a non brake trailer to them as well.