New to boating and towing, trailer axle?

antnida

Cadet
Hi Everyone, I let go of my kayak and boat a little tin can so my wife and 2 kids can join in. I am in the progress of replacing the tires (original tires on there is 4.8-12) and while I am at it mine as well redo the bearing. I pulled out the hub and found this, pictured. What are some of the options that you guys suggest I should tackle this problem?

Axle.jpg

Thanks
Anthony

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Looks like your axle is to short and there isn't enough room for the proper bracket to hold the axle to the spring. Is the back of the hub also screwed up? I'd say you are in need of a new axle that is at least a couple inches wider than what you currently have. It's almost cheaper to buy a new axle than new hubs and bearings anyways and you'll probably be able to sell the one you have on craigslist for more than it's worth. I got mine here and it's been going strong for 5 or 6 years now.

http://www.abctrailerparts.com/

antnida

Cadet
The back of the hub is perfectly fine, I am just going to replace the whole thing with a new axle and hub kit. Thanks for the link.

One more question, does it matter if the new axle is mounted above or below the spring? Thanks

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
does it matter if the new axle is mounted above or below the spring? Thanks
Yes. You now have an Over Slung axle.

axle-measure.gif

When ordering axles, you need to specify over slung or under slung, hub faces, and spring centers.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The axle might be fine. The axle may be shifted or the spring is possibly bowed outward. And if it is neither of these, You can have the axle lengthened.

oldjeep

Admiral
Looks to me like the pin in the leaf is not engaged in the axle tube any more. Looks like the axle is shifted to the right of the picture about an inch.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
As far as the axle goes as long as you don't buy a cambered axle over or underslung wont matter. You can put it above or below the springs as long as you have the clearance, just keep in mind you will lose some road clearance if you put it over the springs.

Is that one bolt warn away or just an illusion in the pic. If it is any idea what was rubbing on it?

It looks to me like the pin from the springs is lined up in the top bracket so I think the axle is just a couple inches to short.

If you do buy a new one, like I said, you'd be surprised at what you can get for them on Craigslist. I wouldn't doubt someone will offer you $50 or more for it with the hubs.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
The back of the hub is perfectly fine, I am just going to replace the whole thing with a new axle and hub kit. Thanks for the link.

One more question, does it matter if the new axle is mounted above or below the spring? Thanks

Maximum tire clearance from the fender(if you have one) requires the axle to be mounted UNDER the springs... over the springs will reduce that clearance,, that pic tells the story,,, U bolts and plate?.. who installed that set up?? that's a hack job! As Sub said......... its clear that axle is to short, theres no room for a proper install, when you get the right length axle you need a 4 hole plate with 2 proper U bolt sizes for the axle you buy,,,plate over the springs, U bolts on both sides of the spring and over the axle locked down, thats 2 U bolts per side.. (4 total)..use loctite RED on the nuts....do that and it wont move........

Last edited:

antnida

Cadet
Thanks everyone for chiming in and helped out, I took the axle off indeed it's shifted from the pin on the spring, inspected the hubs and pretty much have to rebuilt everything, seals, races, bearings. One of hub would likely need to be replace as well. Spring center on this trailer is 48" and hub face to hub face is 55", even with the pins lined up correctly there are very little room for the u bolt kit to grab onto. I am not sure if this axle was engineered that way or not from the way it looks. I went ahead an got a new axle and hub from a local trailer shop.

While the original hub are 5 on 4.5" the diameter of the hub is small to accommodated the .75" OD spindle so finding a replacement HUD of the same size is also tough.

Shifted from axle pin 20141021_185150-1.jpg

Under side of the axle under-1.jpg

Last edited: