Winch cable or strap?

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was pulling my boat out of the water last night (1989 SeaRay 220DA) and the winch cable snapped. I've had it ~5 years with a lot of use..I go in/out of the water on a trailer at least once a week during the season and use fresh and salt water. I'm thinking about replacing it with a winch strap, what are the pros/cons? My boat weighs ~5000 lbs and the main ramp I use is pretty steep.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when the winch cable breaks, it usually comes flying at you. when the strap breaks, it seams to just fall to the ground.

when a cable starts to fray, you get poked with strands. when a strap starts to fray, it gets fuzzy.

I myself like the strap.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The steel cable on my Powewinch is 31 years old. Fresh water only. It has only 1 slight frayed end that 's been there for 28 years, and its right next to the hook so it really never gets touched. I suppose it could break some day. I DO pull the boat up the entire length of the trailer every time I retreive it.

Three of my other trailers have straps. They fray all the time. I have to replace them every few years.

For a tinny or a jetski I'll use a strap - just because its a crank winch. For a heavy boat I'll stick with a cable.

dozerII

Admiral
I really like straps, as stated above easy on the hands and tend to not hurt you when they let go. But the sun is real hard on them and I find they don't last more than 3 or 4 years.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have used both cable and strap. A strap is available for all weights. Straps are more common and easy to handle. Personally I like the strap because they are more limp than the cable.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I prefer straps. Had a cable let go many years ago and put me in the hospital for 2 nights as it came back and hit me in the face and eye.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Cables last longer, but should NEVER be used if there is a human cranking the winch... All it takes is to see one cable let go and you quickly understand why. (see above!)

So with that said, nothing but straps. If I had a big boat with an electric winch, that would probably be a cable.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the insight, this is good info and I really appreciate it!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I prefer straps. Had a cable let go many years ago and put me in the hospital for 2 nights as it came back and hit me in the face and eye.
Just like an electrician manipulating a circuit breaker, transformer or disconnect, you should always stand aside. I had a cable break once too and it went right by me.

Boy, those straps sure don't like being out in the sun!

Last edited:

reelfishin

Captain
Most of my boats are aluminum and fairly light, and I often launch and load in saltwater. Cables don't last long unless their stainless steel.
On most of my trailers I've replaced the original steel cables with good quality rope. Straps are fine but they tend to deteriorate when exposed to the sun too long. I've also had my share of straps that just won't wind flat on the spool.
The rope I've been using is a 3/8" polyester/nylon braided rope that so far hasn't been very affected by the sun or age after about 7 years or so on two of my trailers.
On my roller trailers, I'm still running wire cable.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Just like an electrician manipulating a circuit breaker, transformer or disconnect, you should always stand aside. I had a cable break once too and it went right by me.
I hear ya. Unfortunately this cable didn't come staight back. I was standing on the side cranking with both hands. When it hit me I was hit by the cable and not the end of the cable. It caught my cheek, across the face and also my forehead. The force of the hit when it crossed my face caused a rupture inside my eye which is why the hospital stay. I had to stay flat on my back for 48hrs. to allow the blood to drain from inside my eye. Then had to wear an eye patch for another 2 weeks.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Boy, those straps sure don't like being out in the sun!

Don't know what the exact angle is, but from personal experience being within 15 degrees or so of the end of the cable is within the danger zone, where it could recoil back into you. (aka, the cable breaks when pulling out a stump with a pickup and takes out the rear taillight from 15 feet away...Cable was attached to the ball. expensive taillight!)

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I prefer straps. No getting poked by broken strands; no corrosion in salt air. They don't fly at you if they break like a steel cable can. If you go through a strap every few years, then you know your strap is brand new every few years. Personally, I haven't had to replace a strap yet because I keep my winch covered; out of the sun and rain. Preventing sun damage extends the life of a strap tremendously.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Strap. We have a couple of winches at our cabin for pulling floating dock sections up out of the water and onto runners for the winter. These winches use cables (I don't think I could get straps long enough) and after only a year, I'm already getting wire pokies sticking out of the cable, puncturing my hands and fingers. (And those really smart when you get poked!). I can't imagine having to deal with that every time I launched my boat...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I can't imagine having to deal with that every time I launched my boat...

You don't have to. When you pull out the cable you pull by grabbing the hook. When you retreive it the winch level winds it on the reel.

I never touch my cable. OTOH, I'm constantly pushing and pulling on my strap to keep the thing centered so it doesn't fold over on itself.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What size boat do you have a Powerwinch on that you end up not even using it?