Mounting bunks directly to frame

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
I have a trailer that a glass boat was sitting on and would like to use it for my 14' V-hull aluminum. The trailer had some type of fixed brackets for the bunk mounts and will not work for the tin boat. The width of the square tube frame is the right width to just bolt 2X4's or 2X6's flat directly to the frame. These bunks will be about 5' long and mounted to support the back of the boat. I will probably add a cross member with a roller to support the front of the boat. Can anyone think of any issues that may crop up with the trailer set up this way?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
keel could hit a cross member... bunks may need to curve to match shape of hull OR might work just fine..

You CAN buy bolt on brackets if you need em for not much $

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
I just ran across a thread on another site and apparently several guys have done it without any issues. The only cross members are near the axle. The trailer is open in the back and the front. I will have to inspect it and make sure that there will be plenty of water above the trailer while loading so I don't hit something. The trailer was cheap and is really nice but its way too much trailer for this boat. I'm more worried about the boat getting beat up by the trailer while in tow since the suspension is fairly stiff. I'm going to run lower psi in the tires and I might remove a couple leaves out of each spring. I've heard removing leaves will weaken the existing springs and they could break but my thinking is that I would probably be running a third of the weight this trailer is designed for so I am hoping they hold up.

reelfishin

Captain
I'd be careful about letting air out of the trailer tires, some trailer tires don't do well even unloaded when under inflated.
Removing a leaf shouldn't hurt the other springs if all are in good shape, but if going through that much trouble, you may as well just order lighter springs to suit the task at hand.
A lot will also depend on how far you trailer the boat too, a 2 mile run to the ramp won't likely hurt anything.
Make sure the hull is secured down to the trailer and can't bounce and the hull should be fine. Its when a boat starts bouncing on the bunks you get damage.
Going with a wider bunk will also help distribute the weight better if you still concerned about the ride quality for the hull.

On a two rail frame like you describe, make sure your bunks extend far enough beyond the frame in the rear to be certain the frame cannot contact the hull.

Last edited: