How can I determine the weight of my rig?

miscrap

Cadet
I'm getting ready to purchase a new tow vehicle. I'm going to be downsizing from my current Tahoe, which tows my boat like it's not there. I'd like to find out what my boat/motor/trailer weigh to help guide me in my vehicle selection. My boat is a 1990 Tracker Pro Deep V 17 with the original Tracker trailer, and original 40hp Johnson outboard. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Find a truck stop that has scales and have it weighed. If you have to weigh the truck with it just weigh the truck separate and subtract. You could also check with recycling places as they weigh vehicles coming and going.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Depending on where you live there are commercial places that weigh vehicles. Often near truck stops or truck repair locations. You can get your rig weighed for a fee. You can also often go the local city or county landfill and weigh it on their scales. Some places may not do it at all, and others may do it for a fee. You are more likely to get it done at the dump if you go when they are not busy.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yes, it'd be best to have it all weighed, but you can come pretty close from info available on Google.

The boat weighs 700 lbs 'dry'.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Tracker_by_Tracker_Marine__Pro_V-17__1990/bp/66b97599

The motor's tops out at 220 if you have electric tilt and trim. Trailer 600 if it was matched to the boat (not oversized). Add in your fuel at about 7 lbs/gal, and all your gear. I'd say you're looking at an absolute max of 2000 lbs all in.

My .02

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
If the boat was new you might be close with adding up the published weights of the trailer, boat, engine, fuel, etc. However, like most of us, boats tend to gain weight as they age. This can be from water intrusion or just the accumulation of stuff. A boat from 1990 could be significantly heavier than the published numbers. Also, manufacturer's dry weights can be pretty optimistic. My boat setup should weigh about 3200# on paper. However, other people with the same setup who have actually weighed it say that it is usually between 4000 and 4500#.

MRS

Commander
Take it to a scale and get the true weight mine said on line #2500 for boat when I when to the scales trailer and boat weight #3900...

oldjeep

Admiral
Yes, it'd be best to have it all weighed, but you can come pretty close from info available on Google.

The boat weighs 700 lbs 'dry'.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Tracker_by_Tracker_Marine__Pro_V-17__1990/bp/66b97599

The motor's tops out at 220 if you have electric tilt and trim. Trailer 600 if it was matched to the boat (not oversized). Add in your fuel at about 7 lbs/gal, and all your gear. I'd say you're looking at an absolute max of 2000 lbs all in.

My .02

A lot of mfg specs are lies ;) Malibu advertised dry weights are a good 500 - 1000lbs low

Most farm stores around here also have scales that you can use.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
A lot depends on where the OP lives. I don't know of a single place in my area to get a rig weighed, and I've searched. No farm stores, no truck stops, no nothing that I'm aware of. Metro and semi-metro areas (like Long Island) can be challenging in that regard.

NYBo

Admiral
This is a relatively small aluminum boat with a fairly small outboard. I think John's estimate is about right.

UncleWillie

Captain
If all you really want to know is if the boat and trailer are within the limits of your proposed tow vehicle, check the trailer's tires.
If they have a 900# max rating, your total weight is likely under 2x900 = 1800#.
Most mid sized cars are rated for at least 2000#.