Boat Registration Problem

redcore45

Recruit
So Im in a weird issue with the boat trailer registration.
There was an ordeal where the person who was selling me the boat wasnt the true owner of it, eventually i got the true owner to sign the title for the boat as well as a bill of sale for the boat and boat trailer.
Issue is, the trailer is registered under the person claiming he owned the owned the boat... but hes not cooperating and wont sign any bill of sale for the trailer.
(so he never went through the boat registration and is lucky he didnt get caught)
What should i do?
Chances that he will want to look for this vessil are slim to none. I want to get it over with. I paid him the money and hes happy, im happy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Nicely explain to him that if he will kindly sign this (have all needed documents such as power of attorney or BOS ready and in hand) you will HAPPILY give him this ($50 gift card to popular restaurant in the area again ready and in hand)...... If that doesn't work explain that if he doesn't provide the paperwork you need you are prepared to sue him in small claims court BUT you would MUCH rather take the first route.

redcore45

Recruit
Tried this already, hes very stubborn it seems. Is the only way that I can get it registered in my name is to file a court order?

UncleWillie

Captain
You might also politely remind him that as the Registered/Titled owner of the trailer he is still responsible to maintain any required insurance and that he will be the primary person responsible for any damages caused while it is in operation.

It is in his best interest to get his name off of any paperwork related to ownership as soon as possible.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Willie,, that's funny... I like your thought there........unfortunately, if this was a cash transaction, which is probably was....the seller can walk away with money in his pocket and ignor the buyer....get stuff signed off on when money changes hands.......otherwise this can happen,

UncleWillie

Captain
Willie,, that's funny... I like your thought there........unfortunately, if this was a cash transaction, which is probably was....the seller can walk away with money in his pocket and ignore the buyer....get stuff signed off on when money changes hands.......otherwise this can happen,
+1
Cash, Check or Money Order; His name is still on the records, and he is still the legal owner and bears the liabilities.
He can claim/reposes his trailer at any time. Especially if it was a cash transaction and there is no BOS/receipt for the trailer.

The best place to exchange the money is while both of you are standing at the counter at the Title bureau and the clerk accepts the Title for transfer.