Roller weight

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How much weight should the center rollers of the trailer be carrying. I recently adjusted the height of my bunks so they were each sitting the same height and it took the weight off of the rear and second roller from the rear. That made me start wondering how much weight each of the center rollers should carry. Also how should I adjust the rollers that are not carrying any weight now. Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The answer depends on the actual roller and the design of your boat... could be anywhere from nothing to maybe a thousand lbs...

GENERALLY for most boats I like to put a jack under the roller bracket, loosen bolts and raise them till the rollers are supporting about 2/3 of the boat weight.

you could start with jacking each one snug and about 1/4" - 3/8" more and see how it launches for you.

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. I guess I wrongly assumed that the bunks would carry most of the weight since it would be distributed along the full length of the bunk and not so much on the keel. Last night I was reading, with much amusement, the discussion on what are best bunks or rollers and realized that the keel should support a large portion of the weight. My boat is a 1970 Starcraft Riviera deep V. This is my first boat and it has been a huge learning experience. Thanks again!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I find it nice and refreshing that you took the time to search and read. So I guess you now know both sides of the issue and from there you will have to form your own opinion.
Not familiar with your Starcraft, is that a glass or aluminum boat?

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is glass. I just bought it last month and have only had it out once. It needs a tune-up pretty bad but the compression is good so I think I have something I can work with. It is a 1970 with new carpeting and set up for fishing with swivel seats and has all been rewired. The day I went to look at it it would only run if you held the key in the start position. After about 30 minutes of trying to get it to run the owner threw his hands in the air in frustration and said take it now and you can have the whole thing for $500. After regaining my composure I said well I guess I can take a chance on it for that. Took it to an old boy who used to do boat repair, we changed the key switch which had been moved to the front dash and she fired right up.
I guess that makes up for the first boat I bought this year that had a rotten transom and nearly sank with my grand kids on board. That's a longer story. Maybe everything does even out in the end. Sorry for the rambling, thanks again for your help!!