Trailer Tire upgrading need suggestions

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i am hoping I have the clearance for putting the axle on top of the spring but did have concerns about 'hanging on' with just u-bolts

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Possibly, but if his boat is really hanging 2 feet off the back of the trailer then I suspect the only good solution is to get a trailer the right size for the boat. (Regardless of the trailer coming with the boat)

If that really is the case you could be correct. Then again it could be a set up issue. That's why I would want see pics of the current set up before going down the road of recommending a new trailer. Hopefully all of this banter hasn't scared the OP off.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
lets get the OP back to post a pic or two then we'll see if your post ties in to this thread. (hoping I didn't hijack with my posts)

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will take some pictures this weekend and will post. According to my measurements it is all going to work. The new axles are 4 inch drops and after all the measuring I think it is going to be pretty close to the same height. I am taking to my welder buddy this weekend to confirm.

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone. I have attached some pictures below. Unfortunately the boat is at the lake so you cannot see it sitting on the trailer. I am planning on going from the 1-2000lb axle with 10 in tires to 2-3500 lb axles with 15 inch tires and brakes. This is the original trailer that was purchased with the boat. It was made to travel short distances and the boat fits the trailer as recommend by the mfg. If you look at the pictures you will see that TRACKER actually made the axles bolt on and depending on what size boat you purchased they would move the axles forward or backwards with the angle iron. They also sold a tandem axles that bolted right up unfortunately mine did not come that way. I did not get a chance to take it to the welder because of a birth in his family but plan on doing it this weekend. Let me know if you have any thought or suggestions. The axles in the picture is not the one I am using it is just an extra someone gave me when I purchased the others but is identical. The other have hubs and brakes.

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

Attachments

• photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, why pick 15" when 13" or 14" would have been sufficient?

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The reason I went with 15 is because the guy I got the axles from upgraded his trailer axles from 3500 lbs to 5000 lbs and he sold me all his axles as well all all the wheels. All I needed to buy was the tires so I guess because that was the cheapest.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Go to a boat dealer and compare their boat/trailer to what you have to determine if you have the correct trailer for your boat. That will answer the questions on the tire size and the boat overhang on the trailer. When you start re-engineering a trailer you might be opening a can of worms. Just buying a correct trailer is the safest and could be the most economically way to go. What ever tires you run you need to check the tires' PSI every two months (more often if your climate has drastic/quick changes) and keep them inflated to the max PSI listed on the wall of the tire.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You are gonna end up having this trailer sky high and having to back WAY in n maybe fall off the end of the ramp to launch....

My suggestion: SELL the stuff you bought now and and if you want a tandem buy another 2k axle to match your current one and a couple more tires n wheels... You need quite a bit more clearance above the tires for a tandem trailer because the axles equalize...

A 7000 lb trailer is WAY too much for your boat and will beat the heck out of it.... trailer capacity should be the same as or up to about %15 over the total weight of the trailer and load.... you are gonna be at 200% over the weight.

Also KEEP the angle iron attachment method just use longer rails... that is a VERY common way to attach axles to boat trailers as it allows you to adjust tongue weight.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I have sort of held back, but it is my understanding that a 20 foot pontoon is the break point on a single axle trailer, so a 24 footer should be on a duel, and it sounds like its the completely wrong trailer for the boat in the first place, my advice is to buy the right trailer not mod the one you have.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Also likely good advice tho I would want to know the length of the trailer... It should be 28-30' overall length for a 24' toon

bassman284

Commander
Out of curiosity, why pick 15" when 13" or 14" would have been sufficient?

Or to look at it another way, why not 18"?

Actually I'm not really understanding why he's trying to convert a 2000 lb trailer to a 700 lb trailer. Are you planning to put a really huge boat on it?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A 7000 lb trailer is WAY too much for your boat and will beat the heck out of it.... trailer capacity should be the same as or up to about %15 over the total weight of the trailer and load.... you are gonna be at 200% over the weight.
Agree with this. You are going to damage your boat.

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok here is the deal back several years ago we had 3 flats and 2 spares coming homing from a long trip because the trailer was overloaded. Its a long story but my father in law is a engineer and to him more is always better. Here is a new trailer I was looking at close by and it also has 2-3500lb axles and fits 20-24 ft boats. I dont see much difference in this one and the mods I plan on making to mine.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/bod/4668836854.html

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's not really what the axles are rated for but what the springs are rated for.

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will measure the total length of the trailer tonight. I know the 2x4 bunk lengths are 18ft. I am trying to find a picture of the boat on the trailer. The whole reason I have this problem is because someone offer me a ridiculous amount of money for my triple axle I was using and sold it. It was actually too big for the boat but we never had a flat or any issues.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
if the bunks are 18' I can pretty much guarantee that the trailer is TOO short for the boat. You are only supporting 75% of the boat.... Sounds like you need another trailer

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On my 21' Suntracker, the bunks are 16' long...factory trailer. I would have to measure the exact length of the toons. Suntracker's length designation means nothing.

Pontoons are even with back of trailer.

Last edited:

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did some measuring last night and the complete trailer length from tip of the tongue to the end of the bunk is 27ft. The length from the end of the bunks to the front stop is 20 1/2 ft. When the boat is on the trailer and resting against the bunks there is approx. 2 ft hanging off the back. I am going to attach pictures of the boat sitting on the trailer I just sold. If the trailer is too small for the boat how can tracker legally sell it that way brand new? I am sure it barely meets the minimum specs for a 24ft boat. At this point I don't have 2k to drop on a new trailer. My welder friend is going to put on the axles and everything for 225. I also already have everything I need for the conversion including the tires,wheels and brakes. I am kind of torn on what to do. Do I just sell my trailer and try to pickup a used one somewhere or just give it a try and see what happens. We plan on making it so we can removed the axles and angle and put everything back if needed by removing just a few bolts.

photo4.JPG