New Tow Rig (To me)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Well,

I hope you fellow iboaters have had a great summer?!

I decided I wanted to get rid of my 2007 Toyota Tacoma and get something that can tow a little easier. Never had any problems towing my boat or camper with the Tacoma...I felt she had served me well for the past 7+ years, but she was showing some signs of being used for such duties (drive-line vibration I couldn't isolate...replaced u-joints, carrier bearing and ran synthetic mobil1 in difs, transfer case and motor since new).

So I found a 2003 Yukon XL SLT 4x4 with the 8.1L and 4.10 gearing in Ft. Collins, so I took the drive and made the trade. Overall, the thing is in excellent shape, tows the camper like it's not even there. When I put the camper on the hitch, the rear didn't even sag and the WDH never had any load on it (I used it though!)

I know that in some's eyes this is a downgrade, but this Yukon has every bell and whistle offered (leather seating, dual captain's chairs, 3rd row seating, on board DVD, heated seats, front and rear heat/AC, new Michelin AT2's, meticulous maintenance records. It has 143,715 miles on it (Tacoma had 146,210). Runs excellent! Overall gas mileage is averaged 13.1mpg (Tacoma was 17.5mpg). I figure once we pay-off mamma's Yukon Hybrid, the XL will be regulated to nothing but towing duties and I'll get a more economical daily driver?

I should mention, I not only traded, I also negotiated a check for $4,250 to make up the difference of Tacoma vs. Yukon!

Here she is...

Cheers,

~Brett

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yes, I understand. I have a Chev 2500 that is my work/plowing beast and can handle the heavy towing but, ;) I also have a Sequoia with all the whistles and bells which is far more comfortable.

Good Lucj with the Yukon.......... Aspeck the mod also drives one I believe. It sure does look good!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Thanks for the words of encouragement...I truly love the wife's Yukon, so, that may have swayed my decision a little? I would've loved a newer 2500, but at the prices dealers are asking, I'll pass...that and I can only stomach one car payment at a time!

Fun Times

Staff member
Very nice bajaunderground!!!

The boat dealer I worked for had a 2001 suburban 4X4 8.1 fully loaded that I drove 99% of the time. It sure drove well and towed heavy boats just as well. Hardly knew anything was back there at any speed. No real problems to speak of mechanically.

Just keep up with the fuel filter as we seemed to go through one every 1 1/2 years or so. Each time they clogged enough to keep the engine from starting. But to be fair we weren't using the best gas station in town either "$$$". I was just happy that I had a company gas card too.:D

How's the Hybrid running thus far? Ours just turned 60k and doing good.:)

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a lot of love for the Yukon/Tahoe. While I run the 5.3L small block, the entire truck has been very troublefree from the day it was bought until now at 203k miles and still going. Corrosion is its worst enemy IMO. I have info from a friend running a fleet of G-vans with the 5.3Ls which finally lost oil pressure around 400k. As you say, not the greatest daily driver when it comes to fuel economy but when you need towing or a lot of butts hauled or both it will keep everyone in supreme comfort the entire time and that is a big plus in addition to having a completely stress free towing experience.

Last edited:

bassman284

Commander
I envy you that XL. Especially having the 8.1L. My 2008 Jeep GC does a fine job pulling my boat (~1800 lbs), but in May I dragged a small camper trailer (3100 lbs) to Indianapolis and back and fully realized that the 4.7 really is a SMALL V-8. I mean it did fine as long as I poured plenty of gas through it. Got barely 12 mpg running a steady 65. The Jeep is rated for 6500. It would be interesting to tow that much with it I bet.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Very nice bajaunderground!!!

The boat dealer I worked for had a 2001 suburban 4X4 8.1 fully loaded that I drove 99% of the time. It sure drove well and towed heavy boats just as well. Hardly knew anything was back there at any speed. No real problems to speak of mechanically.

Just keep up with the fuel filter as we seemed to go through one every 1 1/2 years or so. Each time they clogged enough to keep the engine from starting. But to be fair we weren't using the best gas station in town either "$$$". I was just happy that I had a company gas card too.:D

How's the Hybrid running thus far? Ours just turned 60k and doing good.:)

I love the wife's Hybrid, driving it compared to the 2500 Yukon, it's so smooth and sporty feeling. The only issue we've had was the wife backed up in a parking lot and someone was going the wrong way and she bumped into them...no real damage, just a couple of scrapes on the rear bumper and now the parking sensors are giving a warning (they're known to be persnickety), I've pulled it apart and everything looks fine, but I've heard even if the silicon grommet is off alignment, it will give a "Service Parking Assist". Otherwise, we love it...just rolled over 46,000miles!
Cheers,

~Brett

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Nice! We have an '03 escalade esv we picked up about a year ago with 100 k on it. I have a buddy who can program them, so he did a few things and I get 17 mpg when not towing. With autoride I hardly know my 5000lb boat is back there. Good luck, you should have the hd trans too, so no worries.