1973 20' pontoon boat trailer

intrepidcvs11

Recruit
I just bought a 20' kayot pontoon boat. 19" pontoons. Width of boat is just at 8'. Not much money, pretty good condition and super basic. I'm thrilled. Looking forward to working on it this winter and getting on the lake next summer. new carpet, bimini top, paint sides. I'm sure there are more but now I have 2 questions.

1st. I just measured inside to inside on my tires and they are only 32" apart. I didn't actually look but they are either 14 or 15" tires. I pulled it home and it seemed fine but am I going to have a problem with this thing tipping and scrapping the pontoons? What should I do?

2nd. It came with no motor. My only other post was concerning the 28 hp johnson motor I bought off craigs list. It seems by the response I got that this is maybe a good motor that can be dependable. My second question is what size motor would be a good fit for my pontoon boat and me? At this time I am not thinking that high speed is that important to me. Many years ago I spent a few years on an air craft carrier that hardly made a wake and it took me around the world a couple times.
Thanks a lot for helping me out.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
don't take turns that would spill your coffee and you'll be just fine....

motor questions should be asked in the motor section and boat questions in the boat section but yes that engine will serve your purposes just fine... you will need a very low pitch prop for it.... start a thread in the prop section if you need more info on that

WELCOME

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It sounds like whats known a a scissor trailer, so yes it can tip over and hit on the toons, and a 28 hp will push you along around 12 to 15 mph if ever thing is set up perfect.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
40 or 50 HP is ideal for that size boat. Still won't pull water toys with any authority but it does provide adequate speed with reasonable fuel economy.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would recommend a bunk trailer if you plan on trailering much...I bought one for my 75 24ft Kayot this summer..Only drawback is the bottom front of the toon is an angle, not rounded and can catch on the front bunk bracket. I have to back in really deep to float the toon over the bracket which can cause me to drop off the pavement underwater at the launch. I don't know where you are at but there is a very good outboard motor guy In Aurora il that always has an add on Craig's List. He has been a big help getting my old toon on the water. Good luck with your Classic!