3 part roller located just behind bunk

STUDaddy58

Seaman Apprentice
I've got an old (1963-1964) trailer for a fiberglass Lone Star....the boat didn't make it, but it DID donate a trailer, a motor, a fuel tank, and some fittings so that my '63 StarCraft Jupiter could live on....that being said, I'm replacing the rollers on the trailer and can find most of what I need. There are two 3 piece rollers that are located just after the bunks on either side that I cannot find anywhere. Any help in identifying them or where replacements can be had would be greatly appreciated. in the two picture attached, the first shows how they would sit on the trailer, side by side, separated by a "U" shaped bracket that mounts it to the trailer...thought I had pics of them before I pulled them off but can't seem to locate. the second gives you an idea of what each piece looks like on end. the two darker grey pieces are similar, they are about 2 3/8" wide, about 2 3/8" in height, center holes are 5/8", and while one face is flat, the other has a recess of about 1/2 - 5/8". as they sit in the bracket there are fender washers between each piece, and the 5/8" rod that goes through the whole assembly (axle? roller?) has a slot on each end to accept a "C" clip. the lighter center piece is roughly the same diameter but not as wide..only about 2 1/8". the whole assembly is about 7" from end to end. hope some one can help. The iboats forum is definitely my go to place for info and ideas! you guys are the best, hands down...

Attachments

• photo209769.jpg
    photo209769.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo209770.jpg
    photo209770.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Good Luck!!! Those rollers are so obsolete you most likely have the last ones. Back then there were many OEM trailer parts made that were only available from a dealer and most of those makers are now defunked.

STUDaddy58

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, Bonz_d....i may have to rethink that part of the trailer, then....

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
A lathe would make quick work of replacements. A shop will do it but a family friend might be the best.

STUDaddy58

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to both Smokeonthewater and Hungupthespikes! I may just do that...I figured out they are called end caps and straight rollers, so that helped...and now i'm just trying to figure which ones to get...I have a cheap HF lathe that may actually see some use for this...more thinking needed....

Other issue I'm wrestling with is there are two carpeted bunks, 3' long, and 1 5/8" wide that sit 1 1/4" high....:facepalm: trying to find THOSE hasn't been easy...but i think going wider and just slightly thicker won't hurt...may be able to adjust how they sit on the trailer... so this may be a DIY project as opposed to buying off the shelf or ordering....
all my rollers sat in wheel bearings, and the shafts have "C" Clips...all the NEW shafts use those press on caps like on a kids wagon or swing set...not my idea of solid retention...i think i can clean up the shafts (they're steel....only a couple have surface rust, and they look to be original to the boat)...finding new clips shouldnt be difficult. I found the wheel bearings at a lawnmower parts and service place in my town....just gotta get ther keel rollers and bow rollers and straight rollers and end caps...oh my......