bunk or roller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The question might as well be Ford or Chevy. Basically, it comes down to personal preference, IMO. I had a bunk on a 14' tinnie and rollers under a 16' tinnie to a 24' glasser. I'm a roller guy.

I agree with this statement:
For the most part trailer design should be based on personal preference and conditions of use... IE lake, ocean, beach, steep, shallow, etc

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If you really want to know how people on this forum feel about this subject just do a quick search of this forum , rollers or bunks, then be prepared for a long hearty read.
Make popcorn, Cold beverage and bring asprin cause it Will make your head hurt!

Like I tried to avoid but here we go again!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes I did! I still want to hear your reasoning for that statement because there is no truth to it.

Against my better judgement, I'm going to reply to that.

That is the advice of multiple boat builders and trailer manufacturers here in Australia. What you personally wish to do is entirely up to you. As for saying 'there is no truth to it', well, that's just the biggest load of rubbish I've read since 'theblob' re-built a boat engine in a day, that actually turned out to be a photo from a magazine of a race engine.....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Then I guess you'd better come over here and go to any Lund dealer and see how many hulls are on bunks or go to any B.A.S.S. tourny and see how many glass boats are using rollers! May be the the case in Aussie land but not here in the States. Also I guess I'd better get my Alumacraft off those rollers ASAP even though it's been on them for 20+ years.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Then I guess you'd better come over here and go to any Lund dealer and see how many hulls are on bunks or go to any B.A.S.S. tourny and see how many glass boats are using rollers! May be the the case in Aussie land but not here in the States. Also I guess I'd better get my Alumacraft off those rollers ASAP even though it's been on them for 20+ years.

We can do without the attitude. Please keep in mind that these forums are for friendly exchange of ideas and advise.

Chris.....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
:popcorn: had to.

I have had bunks and rollers. each has their place. I have help install rollers where there once were bunks on more than one occasion. However I have yet to see a roller trailer that can easily be converted to bunks. usually a dedicated roller trailer has a crossmember that pivots just a bit.

that being stated, since there is no issue with the OP's current trailer and his 24' boat, and he was just wondering. I personally really like rollers.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Against my better judgement, I'm going to reply to that.

That is the advice of multiple boat builders and trailer manufacturers here in Australia. What you personally wish to do is entirely up to you. As for saying 'there is no truth to it', well, that's just the biggest load of rubbish I've read since 'theblob' re-built a boat engine in a day, that actually turned out to be a photo from a magazine of a race engine.....

and you are saying I have an attitude?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gentlemen - The OP asked what appears to be a very simple question - Which is better, bunks or rollers? As you can all see by the replies, there is not a black and white or correct answer to his question. In an attempt to summarize the replies - It does not depend entirely on the boat material, boat rigged weight on the trailer, launching methods or anything except really, personal opinion. And these opinions are exactly that, opinion, which means you weigh your decision based on input from a bunch of strangers. Will you get good advise - Yes. Will you get bad advice - Yes. Will you get no advice - Yes. One thing I can say for certain, you will get advice.

I's OK to have a difference of opinion, but respect other opinions as well. You know what they say about opinions! Since we don't have a last word and never will - This topic is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.