Trailer Set-up

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1991 Sea Ray 225BR but it appears that the trailer is going to have to be set-up better since it isn't original to the boat. The trailer is an EZ Loader tandem roller type.
When I trailered it, the back set of rollers pivoted so that the boat is not sitting on two of the rollers. The bow is pulled up tight to the bow stop.
The way it's sitting on the trailer right now I have 6% tongue weight, 5600lbs on the axles and 375lbs on the tongue.
Not sure if the nose of the boat is already to close to the tongue to bring the post forward a few inches,

Looking for suggestions.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yes you are right that trailer isn't set up very well for that boat. The rollers should all be under the boat. Not sticking out like the one pictures. Also the bow stop is too high. The bow eye shouldn't be hitting that lower roller. And that front keel roller is useless.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Don't know what you mean by the "nose of the boat is too close to the tongue!" However, the trailer appears to be too long for the boat. The stern is about ready to fall off (forward) of the rear-most rollers so it is already a tad too far forward. The rollers should sit directly under the stern. The front-most keel roller is way too far forward and there appears to be no way to move it back short of adding another cross member (not a terribly expensive process). The winch post is fully adjustable so get the boat situated properly, then make the necessary adjustments. Tongue weight can be adjusted by sliding the axle sub frame rearward.

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK Thanks, a few questions;could the back set of rollers be moved forward to avoid moving the axle positions? Could the keel roller that is currently not touching be raised to support the boat using new mounting brackets? Any tips on using blocks to jack up the boat to either mount the rollers forward or slide the boat back.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
We can't see the structure of the rear roller rocker arm and swivel brackets but the entire assembly may be movable on the rocker arm (the fore-aft) beam on which the rollers are mounted. The front keel roller is simply in the wrong position -- too far forward. Just raising it would put it part way up the curve of the bow and therefore offer little support. It needs to go rearward or the boat forward to be of any use. Shortcuts generally result in a "band aid" solution to a specific problem. Fix this correctly.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I am a big fan of roller trailer and yes that one looks too big for the boat. The roller bunks should have some adjustment to them with that trailer both for the width of the rollers and fore n aft. Some are also adjustable for hieght but I don't believe that one is. Again w/o having a new crossmember made up to move that keel roller back it is completely useless. As to the bow stop, it can be adjusted down so the boweye lines up in the center of the 2

Adjusting te boat to the trailer doesn't leave much option either. Moving it forward to meet the keel roller won't work because there will most likely not be enough adjustment in the wobble roller to get them under the boat. Moving the boat on the trailer is also going to change it's balance. If anything it should be moved backwards on the trailer.

I know it could be a big expense but if it were me I think I'd be looking for a different trailer. One that fits and matches the boat better. Especially if you are going to be using that trailer regularly to move the boat around. It would make it easier on you and be better for that hull.

Lastly would like to apologize for my short response earlier. Been working 6 days a week for too long and it's beginning to catch up.

oldjeep

Admiral
Looks like your rollers are melting. Shouldn't be leaving tracks like that on your hull

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looks like your rollers are melting. Shouldn't be leaving tracks like that on your hull

That was one of the 1st things I noticed but I wasn't going to mention it with all the other issues.

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, The plan will be to move the rear roller arm assemblies forward, a new crossmember placed towards the stern where the keel is flat, and adjustment of the bow stop roller positions. Going to try this first before looking for a better trailer. Will update in the next few weeks.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lower the winch so the strap is horizontal and pulls the boat forward rather than up. Not sure about the rest of your questions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You don't need a crossmember where the keel is flat. You need a crossmember just slightly back from the roller that is not touching the keel. That roller supports the keel which is the strongest part of the boat. That roller should be placed just rearward from where the curve of the keel ends/