New Truck Break In Period

nsjames

Seaman Apprentice
true, but OEM spicer gear sets recommend the same break in period, as does Currie with complete 9in rear ends.

bassman284

Commander
I just checked the manual on my 2008 Grand Cherokee, which I bought used about a year ago. Says the following:

Avoid towing a trailer for the first 500 miles of vehicle operation. Doing so may damage your vehicle.

During the first 500 miles of trailer towing limit your speed to 50 mph.

No mention of WHAT damage may occur, but...

bigdee

Commander
jwfbass has not yet said what size boat he will be towing or the conditions and mileage. Without proper info it is hard to answer his question. A light boat and some easy driving should not be an issue. Just don't tell the dealer as the 1000 mile rule is mostly CYA for getting out of paying warranty claims.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Just got a new Ford F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost Engine. 4x4, Max Trailer Tow. The manual states 1,000 miles before towing. I wanted to tow my boat this weekend for some fishing but now I am a bit concerned I will screw up something with the truck if I do. Does anyone know why the 1,000 mile (I've seen 500 for other trucks) is required? I am planning on towing for about a 90 mile round trip. Any knowledge is appreciated.

How heavy is your boat?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Seeing as how the weekend he wanted to tow the boat on ended 2 days ago it seems that this question has expired wouldn't ya think?

agallant80

Commander
Congrats on the new truck. As for the breakin its your call. I can't find anyone saying they had to replace the motor due to not breaking it in.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
All the technical talk is good but I think reply #12 is the most valid reply.

Does anyone remember the space shuttle that exploded killing all seven astronauts including Christie McAuliff? There was a billion dollar piece of equipment that was launched NOT following the booster manufacturer's recommendation as to atmospheric temperature at launch time. Remember the O ring controversy? Sometimes the manufacturer really does know best!