Is it a problem if my boat is wider than my trailer

skoden

Recruit
I apologize if this seems ignorant but...
I am new to trailering and I just recently purchased a used 14 foot, 280-300 pound sailing dinghy with a 6 foot beam and no trailer. I ordered a small trailer online with an 800 pound capacity. The length and weight of the boat seem to be within the limits of the trailer, but the boat will be about 18 inches wider than the overall width of the trailer. Is this going to be a problem when towing?
Thanks in advance for your input!

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Most likely not. What's going to matter is the distance between the fenders and if your boat is will fit.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you know what the width is from the outside of your trailer tires? My beam is about the same width as my trailer when you take a measurement from the outside of my tires. So basically, as long as my tires are clear of whatever it is I'm driving through, my beam will also clear it. I would hate to have to eyeball that clearance if my beam was any wider or my trailer was any narrower.

Last edited:

skoden

Recruit
The trailer width (overall including fenders) is 54" and the boat has a 72" beam. There will be roughly 9" beyond the tires on either side.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No it is not an issue of any kind.....AS LONG AS the boat fits on the trailer and the tires n fenders don't hit it you are fine.... FWIW the overall length of the trailer should be A LEAST 10% more than the over all length of the boat.

My 28'er is over 10' wide and the trailer is 8' wide.

Technically your narrower trailer WILL be slightly less likely stable in high speed turns but then you shouldn't be making high speed turns.

ffej1010

Cadet
Would he need to worry about side marker lights being under the boat and not visible?

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Would he need to worry about side marker lights being under the boat and not visible?

No should be fine, Never hurts to check, but never seen it being a problem.

Now the fact your looking at the trailer wheels when backing up to avoid the house and the boat being wider and higher so it's not in the mirror as it's rubbing against the brick!!!! :doh:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
my side marker lights are almost 3 feet in from my rub rail... you would have to be in an airplane to be unable to see them... there is no way you should be looking at only the trailer wheels to miss a house.. look at the point of contact... IE if you are missing a cinder block look at the tire... a brick wall look at the widest point (in this case the rub rail)... an over hanging tree look at the windshield...... the boat being wider than the trailer is NOT an excuse for hitting things.... would make as much sense as saying my trailer is wider than my boat so I might hit my house with the tire while I watch the rub rail in the mirror

Last edited: