wheel hubs

wanna be boater

Recruit
we have a 1992 EZ Loader boat trailer without brakes. just bought used boat/trailer package. first time owners. discovered seal leaking from wheel bearing. trying to remove hub now. going to purchase hub with seals, bearings, etc.. do we have to purchase "EZ loader" parts, or will others fit? was looking online at Eastern Marine, the EZ loader part list hub only, seals, bearings etc. have to be ordered optional. other brands come with complete assembly and pregreased. help and info from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
They may just need repacked. Pull the wheels off,then the hub and inspect the bearings and races. Bearings: clean them in gas and lookfor discoloration or any rust or damage.Races check for pitting. When you pull the hubs you should be able to tell if there was water intrusion by the color of the grease.If all is good,put a new seal and repack them bearings. If not replace the races and bearing cones in pairs.I doubt you need new hubs.If you need to drive races get the kit from autozone,its kind of a pita with a brass punch.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
You can use any parts provided the sizes are correct. I suggest pulling the hub, bring the bearings with you and heading to a trailer parts store, the they will get you setup.

You can probably just replace the bearings, races and seals and be fine, however if you want the entire hub they really aren't that much more and the races are already pressed in.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you decide to replace bearings, races, and seals, your 90s E-Z Loader may have UFP (Unique Functional Products) hubs. On my 90s E-Z Loader with UFP hubs, the inner races are L68110 and not the more common L68111. They take the same bearing, but the L68111 race will not fit. I think the seals are different as well, but I can't recall for sure. As mentioned above, if you're unsure of exactly what you need, take the whole hub assembly to wherever you are going to buy the parts so the counter help can get the correct items.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And set the preload properly during assembly -- whether you use new hubs or using your old hubs.