Can you tow a sailboat with a Toyota Camry

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice
Last edited:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Normally I would ask for relevant weights and ratings but there are truck-based tow vehicles I would not tow a 22' rig with. You would be very unstable with a short unibody frame on your camry or for any sedan. Please don't.

Might want to look into renting from Uhaul or something.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can pull a Snark or sunfish with your camry.

you are forgetting the all important weight of the gear, fuel, and trailer.

that boat on a trailer with a bit of gear on it will weigh in about 4500#.

Rent a truck

Maclin

Admiral
Regarding the alternate vehicle choices, if you mean that exact '88 Dakota, it has no title and the engine is siezed so it won't even pull itself, just sayin' :confused:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
+1 and I think you might have to raise your budget up over $650 to get a decent tow vehicle. An expedition would work but unless you like to wrench and put some time and money into it, going with the cheapest one you find might bite you.

Maclin

Admiral
Ok, that was interesting though :)

Either one would probably do what you need to do. I would be worried about tires and brakes on either one. Also the stick shift is a trickier launch/retrieve if it will be used for that.

Count Monaco

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, that was interesting though :)

Either one would probably do what you need to do. I would be worried about tires and brakes on either one. Also the stick shift is a trickier launch/retrieve if it will be used for that.

should be ok, right? considering that I'm only going to use it to pull a sailboat once a month or 2... or 3,4,5 :p
Stick... it's the only way to drive.
Manual... Because driving is not really driving if it isn't a stick.
Real Women Prefer Stick... It's what's for dinner.
93f8bcec6850ecf55462f5d408b132af.jpg

mZ5vfSrc_lAAsdsr-eu4AGQ.jpg

vector_manual_gear_shifter_classic_thong.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the 5-speed, it has a V6. towing capacity for the Dakota is 4300#. that is less than the boat, trailer and gear will weigh.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Honestly I think you need to be looking for a full size truck... If you don't plan to drive it more than once every month or 3 then gas mileage isn't an issue so why not have a little MORE than the bare minimum.... ALSO for pulling a boat up a ramp you can't beat an auto.... My jeep, car, and truck are all manuals but pulling a boat isn't the primary use of any of them..... Once in a while you may want to loan your truck to a friend and getting it back with a smoked clutch is never pleasant.

Maclin

Admiral
My first 4 cars were 4speeds, left leg bigger than right leg, all that. Not much fun pulling up a slick ramp, but not really what you are asking about. I had misunderstood the load you will have, and I guess also your purpose. It seemed to me you just wanted something to haul it 65 miles one time, then dump the tow rig.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Typically, most vehicles tow rating with a stick are much less than an automatic.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Typically, most vehicles tow rating with a stick are much less than an automatic.

Very true. The torque converter multiplies the torque. I know Nissan trucks were like that years ago and if you wanted to tow more the auto gave a higher capacity.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are looking for a cheap tow vehicle, look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee from around '94 with the 5.2 liter v8. They are dirt cheap these days, you could find one for under 2k easily.

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What Bob_VT said. Cute GIFs aside, a torque converter is a torque multipler (like 2:1) at low RPMS and more like a fluid coupling (1:1) at higher RPMs. Its like a free extra gear for launching a heavy load that is self-managing and never needs shifting. I would not ever tow anything serious with a stick shift unless its a semi truck with 1200 ft-lbs of torque off idle. Also the rollback on a launch ramp invites wheelspin that can put you in the drink. I thought my grandfather was going to sink his 5 speed Jeep towing a small v-hull up out of the reservoir when I was with him once.

A camry is completely unsafe for this kind of load. It does not have the chassis or brakes to handle this. As others have said, a full-sized vehicle would be your best bet. If you rent it needs a receiver hitch...a ball bolted into the bumper isn't appropriate structure.

I would try to find a friend and offer to pay him or her to do the job for you. You might even be able to negotiate with the seller at the time of sale. I did this once with a tractor purchase, the seller delivered it to my house as part of the deal we struck, my own truck and trailer was parked in another state during a moving process at the time.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
He said he plans to use the tow rig repeatedly... just not frequently... renting and borrowing don't fit his needs.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its easier to launch and retrieve with an automatic but my current truck (Tacoma V6) has a manual and its not a problem. The tow rating is the same as the automatic version.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would think any light truck you can find with an automatic should do you, or find a friend to go sailing with you that has a good tow vehicle..