Determining Weight Capacity

LeeOrlando

Cadet
I just aquired a classic 1069 boat & the trailer seems a bit lightweight to me, as it seems to flex a lot! No idea if it is original trailer or anything about it, no name or markings or tags anywhere. It's a dual axle, 5.70 x 8" tires. I want to be sure the tongue isn't gonna break on me!! How can I determine the strength of this trailer, mainly based on the frame?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Load capacity of any trailer is determined by 1) design, 2) frame material, 3) axle capacity, 4) spring capacity, and 5) tire capacity. 5.70 x 8 tires are available in a couple different load ranges. Look at the sidewall of the tire for the load capacity. Multiply that by four and that will be the capacity of the tires. However, all other factors must have at least the same or higher specifications than the tire capacity. We can't see your trailer so we have no idea what the frame looks like -- besides, strength (as you put it) is determined by all the other factors.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
If you just aquired this boat and trailer, I assume you have paperwork?? titles and trailer registration? if the answer is no... you might end up planting flowers in your boat... if you have the paperwork the GTW will be on the trailer registration... if your state requires trailer registrations.... or find a trailer inspector in your area who is authorized to verify GTW

LeeOrlando

Cadet
"If you just aquired this boat and trailer, I assume you have paperwork?? titles and trailer registration? "... Unfortunately ImperialVC200, the state purchased in doesn't require trailer registration so I only have a Bill of Sale on boat & trailer. Ah, I didn't know about Trailer Inspectors. Thanks for the comments... Lee

LeeOrlando

Cadet
Oops I corrected that "1069" before posting but obviously it didn't take. It's a 1969 boat!! Lee

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Regardless of what the weight capacity of the trailer was when it was new, it could be severely compromised by rust at this point, 45 years later. You shouldn't have any significant flex. Take a look inside the tubes and do some probing with a pointy tool.