Need Help with a Bonehead Move

Wishnbfishn

Recruit
OK... So here is what I did...

I cleaned my Chapparal hull with a retail hull cleaner that, as I now know, contains oxalic acid. My boat sits on a galvanized two axle trailer. Needless to say, the galvanized trailer did not like the acid in the hull cleaner, I know have a trailer that looks whitish and dull in many spots, with acid etching on fenders, some of the structure, etc., where the hull cleaner sat.

After telling me how damn stupid I am, does anyone have any suggestions for restoring that trailer to back to some semblance of it's former self? It lookds pathetic now.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Wishn

Bondo

Staff member
OK... So here is what I did...

I cleaned my Chapparal hull with a retail hull cleaner that, as I now know, contains oxalic acid. My boat sits on a galvanized two axle trailer. Needless to say, the galvanized trailer did not like the acid in the hull cleaner, I know have a trailer that looks whitish and dull in many spots, with acid etching on fenders, some of the structure, etc., where the hull cleaner sat.

After telling me how damn stupid I am, does anyone have any suggestions for restoring that trailer to back to some semblance of it's former self? It lookds pathetic now.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Wishn

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,.... Wash it real good, 'n Rinse it real good,...

The galvanize oughta self heal, with time,.... it'll oxidize darker,...

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks aren't everything. I'd just go dunk it in the water . . . Salt water if you can . . . And let the discoloration wear itself in as Bondo suggested.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Galvanized manufacturers recommend using an oxalic acid paste for cleaning rust stains off of galvanized steel......... I think Bondo is correct in his assesment, but I do think it's gonna take a long time if ever to get it to weather to match............. wait on others response first, but you may have to treat the rest of the trailer so it all is uniform and will weather uniformly...........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant see the trailer when you are on the water. go boating and forget about it.