loading question

steve mcintire

Seaman Apprentice
I own an 83 Starcraft SS on a shorelander trailer. It is a roller trailer with two keel rollers. When I load the boat the keel drags on the trailer between the rollers untill it hits the front roller. This is my first boat, am I doing something wrong? Do I need to add a third roller? Thanks in advance
Steve.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If this is a trailer with wobble rollers then I would say they are spaced too far apart. Shouldn't be hitting the trailer frame.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think "keel rollers" may be the key here... Hard to tell what you mean but it SOUNDS like you may be backing in too far.....

steve mcintire

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the input. I think that my trailer was modified by the last owner. I contacted Shorelander and the info that they provided did not match the cofiguration on my trailer. What we have here is a rookie mistake. I watched and I learned at the boat ramp yesterday. I did not know that I owned a tilt trailler.I have a lot to learn. Thanks again
Steve McIntire

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have recently owned 2 tilt trailers, one was with keel rollers and wood bunks, the other was wobble rollers with keel rollers. Either way the keel should not be hitting the frame. Whether you are too deep or too shallow. BTW there really is no such thing as too shallow with a tilt bed trailer. Even loading the boat from dry ground the keel shouldn't hit the trailer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You need a roller on every crossmember. That way it hits the roller not the trailer.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Steve, I received your PM.

It could be that at some point that trailer was changed or the CS person you talked with is just unfamilar with the one you have. I can't remember Shoreland'r making a tilt trailer for some time now. MiDuckdown is right, if you could post up a couple pictures it would make it real easy to make a reccommedation as to why it's doing this.

When I was using a tilt trailer I would only back it in far enough for the end of the trailer to touch the water and I would use the tilt every time. Even when not needed. Keeps the axles and bearings out of the water. Sure it was harder and took more time that way but I never had to worry about a bearing failure because of water intrusion

I myself really miss not having a tilt bed trailer and no one seems to be building them any more.