Changing Tandem axles and hangers with Boat On using Travel Trailer Jack

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys-

I was looking at a trailer jack called "travel trailer jack" and was thinking of picking up two of them to change out my axles and hangers on my tandem trailer.The trailer has a 05 23ft Pro-Line Center console on it currently.Has anyone done this? I am going to try and change everything out with the boat on.
[h=1][/h]

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No that won't work... You need to jack up the trailer and support it from the frame.... the tandem axles are a system and you need BOTH axles free at the same time to remove and replace..... Quality jack stands are not expensive and are the correct way to support a vehicle or trailer while working under it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You need to jack up the trailer and support it from the frame.... The tandem axles are a system and you should have BOTH axles free at the same time to remove and replace..... Quality jack stands are not expensive and are the correct way to support a vehicle or trailer while working under it.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Support the frame with wide base wood platform, use jack stands as a secondary measure.... a wide base wood block platform from the ground up wont fail,, unless the ground caves in........jack stands might be just fine, then again they might fail, then your dead if under there and get pinned in a bad spot...... I trust the ground up method...I'd never get under without doing that.....some call it no faith in jack stands,, I call it common sense:rolleyes:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm planning on buying a few landscape timbers, cutting to 24" length and using them to support, with a couple 2x12's on the top against the frame.. Not trusting of jack stands if i'm under it.

Where are you getting your parts?

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
I doubt if there was any chance a jack stand rated for two or three thousand pounds is going to fail, the liability is incrediable. The only time I will not trust a jack stand is on soft ground or ashphalt, in either of those two situations I put the jack stands on 2' squares of 3/4" plywood.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know, jack stands are rated for pairs so a set of 4,000# jack stands are 2000# each.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
true, but....

mechanical items are more prone to failure than stacked wood. The jack stand also require a more precise human intervention thus allowing for more human error.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't hurt to add the stack of wood as an extra safety margin. I do the same.

Just don't use concrete blocks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Fortunately, my driveway is concrete. If it wasn't, I would probably only use stacked wood. I replaced an axle on mine and it was easy. Replacing an axle really doesn't require your full body to be under the trailer at all. You slide the axle in/out from the side.

oh no, lets not go down that road...

:lol:
Hey, just keeping everyone safe!

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey thanks for all the input! I see now that this jack is not going to work thanks "smokeonthewater" i now understand tandem trailers : )

I will instead use a combination of jack stands and a couple railroad ties.You can count me out of crawling under that thing with only jack stands.In fact, i don't plan on crawling under it all if possible.

Update: I found a Marina that will simply forklift my boat off and store it temporarily for $50 while i make repairs. Definitely worth every penny...

RJ- I used three sources to get my parts A) Pacific Trailers B) Ez-Loader out of Port St Lucie C) Eastern Marine

Thanks!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
good luck. Make sure you take pics and notes of what you screw up so we can all avoid those mistakes.:lol:

I'm trying to get all mine in one place even if it is a couple bucks more. So far Eastern looks promising. I'm going to do the same (incl tires/wheels) from the frame down, adding brakes.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Used 4X6 lumber, 30" stacked under both axles of a 29000lb motor home to redo the brakes. Stacked like "house Movers" do. Left leveling jacks down as insurance. a couple of 10 ton bottle jacks will work.Good luck.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nothing is foolproof. Last time I pulled the SkipperLiner, the first thing I did was grab my pair of 20 ton jacks and a couple of railroad ties to get the weight off the tires. While jacking the starboard side up, after about 6" of lift on both sides, the railroad tie split in half. Couldn't swallow my heart for 10 minutes after that...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

here's how I did mine last Winter. I pulled my axles to weld flanges on one of them and install electric brakes all the way around.

I used 2 jackstands on teh back and 2 about 3/4 the way front. Then I used wood blocks on all 4 corners and the jack in the front.

I picked it up using a regular floor jack.

trailer_on_blocks_zps77a7702f.jpg

I live in the NW. It's like Kalifornia. We have earthquakes from time to time. There was NO WAY I was going to trust jackstands all by themselves!

Cheers,

Rick