having problem registering trailer

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
any more MANY trailers only have it printed on a sticker slapped on the tongue... It is the same sticker that has make model capacity tire size etc...
Just stamp it anywhere... You are not committing any crime or falsifying anything... You are simply restoring a missing identification number... You don't have to mimic or make it look factory.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
My Shorelander trailer has a sticker which over time disappeared. Once a state cop here in the states stopped me, because my license plate had come loose and fallen off somewhere on the road, and asked me to show him the vin number. Naturally, I couldn't find it. I finally convinced him that the trailer was, indeed mine and he let me go with a warning. Not long after that I got stopped by Mexican custom officials as I entered Mexico who wanted to see the vin number. Again, I couldn't find it but, since I had all the proper documents, they let me continue on my trip. As soon as I got home I borrowed a set of metal punches and stamped the number on the top of the tongue where it was plainly visible. In addition, to guard against someone stealing the trailer, grinding the number off and registering it as homemade, I stamped the number again on the inside of the frame toward the back and I am the only one who knows where that number is located.

Last edited:

lostinthebay

Recruit
Buy some vinyl outdoor inkjet or lazer paper depending on your printer. Look at any boat that you can read the sticker and take a picture of the reg sticker. In MS word type your LEGAL info of your trailer the same as your picture example you took. Print it out, stick it on the trailer and call it done. Boat trailer stickers are well known to fade off. I have seen it many times.

bigdee

Commander
I am glad I live in a state that does not require all this nonsense. The only numbers they want to see here are the ones on the title.

Twidget

Commander
You are WAY over thinking this one....

You already have legal paperwork... you already know the number... all you need is a tracing of the number.... for who cares what reason the number isn't on the trailer any more.... All you need to do is PUT the number on the trailer and give them their tracing.

Letter and number stamp set

I was having a similar issue with a trailer from Oklahoma trying to register it in Texas. The lady at the registration office made the same suggestion.

vanvranken

Seaman
it worked.i would suggest doing it on some soft scrap metal first.took me a few times to get right.get your tracing.then do the final on trailer.