having problem registering trailer

vanvranken

Seaman
recently bought a boat and trailer from mass.i live in ny.dmv in ny tells me vin number does not exsist.when I called mass dot they told me it did.for me to reg in ny I need a tracing of the vin number off trailer and have the trailer wieghtd and get a weight slip.cant find vin numbers on trailer????any help woiuld be great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
call the trailer manufacturer with the vin number. they will be able to send you the information. I did that for my 1997 Shoreland'r to register it down here in Florida.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
do you have the trailer reg? with VIN on it? if not, and you cant find a VIN # on the trailer frame... your screwed.. unless you can generate one as "home made" often do,, how that's done? got me..... if you have a hard copy registration with the VIN on it, here in PA there are trailer inspectors... who can verify the VIN on the trailer, even if it's not there ;). you figure out how to get that done

Last edited:

vanvranken

Seaman
have the reg with vin#.cant find vin on trailer.cant do a police verifaction without vin on trailer.i would have no problem reg in mass but not ny.don't know what to do???nice trailer.just had hydraulic brake system put in.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
most likely the original vin was on a decal like the shoreland'r trailer I have. the sun took care of the lettering on the decal long ago, and it is now just a white sticker.

google is your friend here [h=1]Long Trailer Co, Inc[/h]
313 Bass Lane
Tarboro, NC 278867921 - View Map
Phone: (252) 823-8828

vanvranken

Seaman
I did contact them this morning.they said" they where a different company.the company I was looking for was up north and went out of business".kinda seemed she just did not want to help me with my issue.it sucks I cant reg this now because vin was most likely on a sticker and faded away.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
all is not lost. contact the Mass DMV, explain your issue. they may have a direction.

vanvranken

Seaman
I will try that.I contacted them one to make sure vin on reg was correct.i gave her vin # she told me exactly what I had.i just don't understand why not showing up I ny???

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You are WAY over thinking this one....

You already have legal paperwork... you already know the number... all you need is a tracing of the number.... for who cares what reason the number isn't on the trailer any more.... All you need to do is PUT the number on the trailer and give them their tracing.

Letter and number stamp set

Scott Danforth

Staff member
or another aproach to smoke's thought - get a printer label, print the vin # on it, and put a clear decal over the top of it.

DIY VIN sticker

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Smoke is right,
I would buy/use a 1/4" set vs. 1/8". A piece of wood and a couple of clamps to make a rest for the dies, will give you a nice straight line.
huts

vanvranken

Seaman
just purchesd a 1/4 inch set.awsome idea for the clamps and wood to make a rest.i will follow up with this.thanks guys for the help

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
or another aproach to smoke's thought - get a printer label, print the vin # on it, and put a clear decal over the top of it.

DIY VIN sticker

that's exactly what u need to do,, put a sticker on it... Shorelandr trailers of the time used stickers,, I have one,, the sticker was gone too.... Pa wanted an imprint,,my trailer inspector guy said put a sticker on it,, he approved it,, Im registered.........dont over think this.......tell them its got a sticker, you want to punch letters, have at it

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Live in NY to. I got a reg for a homemade trailer. Just had to got to a weigh station the DMV told me to use and went back with the weight slip. Sounds like the path of least resistance.