Broken leaf spring.

scipper77

Commander
Yesterday as I was pulling into the launch and as I turned the corner one of my leaf springs snapped. I was stuck in the launch line but there was room for even large boats to go around me.
IMG_20140915_203645_zps8ea2d8a8.jpg

If you look carefully at the picture you will see that one leaf is a fresh break and the other is old.
I had to wait an hour for the local marinas to open just to be told that there service department didn't work on Sundays and I was out of luck. After sitting and thinking for that hour I had a plan. I drove home (27 miles) loaded up with tools, cut some 2 by 4s and headed back. I blocked up the axle with the 2 by 4s and secured the wood to the frame with c-clamps. Next I constrained the axle using a pair of ratchet straps pulling the axle in opposing directions. This was good enough to get me across the street into the parking lot.

I then stripped the boat of as much gear as I felt was reasonable and left the boat there overnight. There was still a gas can, deep cycle battery, 2 anchors, the trolling motor, and a pair of oars in the boat plus odds and ends like flares and fire extinguisher.

This morning I called around and found a trailer shop that could get me the spring by tomorrow. Unfortunately I work evenings tomorrow so this would mean my boat would sit two more nights. Did I mention that this lot is in the country and backs up to a trailer park. Here is where I either got real stupid or finally grew a pair. I drove straight from work to the boat this afternoon only stopping to pick up another pair of ratchet straps. I put both new straps on the axle keeping it from moving back. It this point I had three 500# straps constraining the axle one way and one strap the other way. I drove home on lake road which is a single lane the whole way (close to 30 miles) but it is the type of road I could get away with traveling at 30 mph or less. I had to pull aside to let cars pass me about 8 times and I stopped 5 times to check my makeshift axle support but I made it home and boy did that feel good.

So what is the moral to this story. I guess there are many morals such as be prepared, take nothing for granted. Most importantly, your trailer is just as important as your boat and needs to be maintained to the same high standard. I am very lucky that the leaf didn't snap at speed as it would have ripped the axle right off of the trailer. I have inspected the leafs but the crack formed under the bracket that bolts to the axle. Please take a moment to check yours. If I knew I had a had a crack I could have spent yesterday fishing. Two new leaf springs are only going to run me about $60.

Last edited:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
You're a man who doesn't sit down and cry until someone else comes and fixes it. Good thinkin'!!
Mike

64osby

Admiral
Great job with the rescue.

Almost sounds like it could be a commercial for men of a certain age. :D

scipper77

Commander
I can remember years ago seeing someone drive down my street and when they turned the corner there wheel started ripping off the fender on there trailer. On Sunday I became intimately familiar with what happened to them.

I just hope my post here helps others either through prevention or by teaching them how to make this temporary repair if the boat is in a location where it must be moved.

Has anyone ever had a leaf spring snap like this while towing at speed??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Did you replace both sides (both pair of springs)........ I would ;)

scipper77

Commander
Did you replace both sides (both pair of springs)........ I would ;)

I am definitely replacing both springs. Replacing the springs should be easy compared to what I just went through. That drive home on 2 by 4s and ratchet straps was stressful as heck. not to mention driving out there and back three times (around 170 miles of driving) and the terror of leaving my boat exposed that far from home.
I ordered two new springs, same rating as the original ones. They should be in today. I considered buying heavier duty springs so I will never have to go through that again (These are only 1,000# each side for a 1,500# rig ) but my trailer guy said if you put stiff spring on the trailer will hop all over and it's more jarring on the boat. I guess if the original springs have been on since 1983, the replacements should hold up just fine. The only thing that bothered me is that leaf that was cracked was hidden under the bracket. I'm not sure what reasonable action I could have taken to prevent this failure? Kind of makes me want to replace the bearings and tires just so I can feel safe when I'm doing 70 mph on the thruway. I cant believe how lucky I am that this didn't happen at highway speeds.

BF

Lieutenant
Good for you. When I was a kid my Uncle did something similar when a spring broke... but he used a log (firewood) b/c that's what he had in his truck. So when I broke a spring on my utility trailer about 3 years ago and I remembered this and was able to use some pieces of 4x4 and ratchet ties to get home. When pulling a trailer, I always carry a plastic milk crate that has: a 6 ton bottle jack, several ratchet ties, pieces of blocking, a decent tire iron, big crescent wrench, tub of grease, a set of used bearings (the last ones that I replaced) and a big cotter pin.... Anytime I tow, this crate either goes in the trailer or tow vehicle.... When I was a kid, once when we were on holidays the wheel flew off our camper b/c of a bearing failure.... we had to leave the camper on the side of the road and run around to the local small towns to find a new bearing etc.... took 2 days of our holidays! I guess that made an impression on me, and I've been able to avoid that. Mostly b/c I think I'm better at keeping my bearings well greased than my Dad was...

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mine look pretty rusty and I don't know how long they have been on there. Been thinking a couple of months now about replacing...........I will now.

scipper77

Commander
Mine look pretty rusty and I don't know how long they have been on there. Been thinking a couple of months now about replacing...........I will now.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I was very surprised at how cheap the springs ended up being for my trailer. Two springs came to $58 after tax. It also looks like it will be an easy job swapping out the springs. Of course my trailer is only rated for #2000.