Trailer bunks

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have to replace the wooden bunks on my trailer. Would it be OK to use composite decking? If I could use the composite, do I still need to carpet them? Thanks in advance for your input. This forum is a great wealth of info and ideas for people like me who could use a "Dummy's Handbook" for just about everything. You guys and ladies are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer2:

NYBo

Admiral
Composite decking is about as stiff as a wet noodle, compared with regular lumber.

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used pressure treated lumber with pvc 1x4 over the wood. It's just like having the more expensive glides. Works great and is inexpensive.

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, I read awhile ago about using the pvc over the lumber. Will try that as its very hard for a 69 yr. old guy cranking the boat up on the trailer. Thanks

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used pressure treated lumber with pvc 1x4 over the wood. It's just like having the more expensive glides. Works great and is inexpensive.
I'm assuming you don't cover with carpet, otherwise I see no advantage

cribber

Lieutenant
I used 2x6 cypress boards I picked up from the local lumber supply to rebuild my bunks just using carpet and monel staples I got from here. I also used 3M 5200 glue to secure the carpet to the boards..

Last edited:

cribber

Lieutenant
I used 2x6 cypress boards I picked up from the local lumber supply to rebuild my bunks just using carpet and monel staples I got from here. I also used 3M 5200 glue to secure the carpet to the boards..