Tire Age

ETECJON

Recruit
The tires on my trailer are four years old. The trailer is kept in the garage year round and look to be in perfect condition but doesn't it seem to be time to replace them? I have had flats before and I really don't want to go through that crap again!!! Should I rep;ace them??
LDJ

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome to IBOATS.

"perfect condition" means good, even tread wear? No bulging anywhere? Keeping them out of the elements will extend the life of them and depending on the amount of miles driven and road conditions could mean several more years.

Have you checked with a local tire shop that might have good knowledge of wear on trailers take a look and offer an opinion?

Mark

bigdee

Commander
That is your call but if was me I would not be too concerned. I maintain max inflation in my tires and replace them when the tread wears down or they start to weather crack.

7 years from the date of manufacture is recommended. Its meant to be something to do with the additives they add to the rubber in the tires.

Bondo

Staff member
That is your call but if was me I would not be too concerned. I maintain max inflation in my tires and replace them when the tread wears down or they start to weather crack.

Ayuh,.... I've got wagons runnin' on 20 year old tires,....

If they got tread, 'n little to no checkin', I run 'em til they don't, or do,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't go over 5 years but that's because I tend to tow long distances and don't want to deal with tire failures.

robert graham

Admiral
4 years and I'd replace them...trailer tires last and wear different than automobile tires. But you may want to consider how far and how fast you're going to be towing.....5 miles to the local ramp...who cares?.....500 miles at 75 MPH on the interstates is a different set of conditions and risks if they blow out!....

UncleWillie

Captain
As in everything boating related... maintenance is everything.
Sun damage and under-inflation are the main killers of trailer tires.
If they are in a garage when not on the road you have the Sun Damage under control.
If they look to be in perfect condition, the likely are good to go.
If you have kept them inflated properly there is no reason to replace them.

My boat is stored directly next to my house.
I did not cover the tires while parked the first year.
The tire next to the house that never gets any Sun, still looks perfect and holds air all year.
The tire that got the Sun the first year, shows minor splitting of the side wall and looses ~5 psi per month.
When I added a spare tire to the trailer in my second year. I also added covers for ALL the trailer tires.

I question the logic of all the uncovered spare tires you see on trailers.
When the day comes that the spare is needed, will the tire be able to handle the load after being Sun Baked for years?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
After my tires failed after 4 1/2 years, I am jacking up my trailer over the winter.

robert graham

Admiral
Just remember the whole trick with tire and water pumps is to replace them Before they fail!....that's about it...

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are lots of things to consider. That they are garage kept all of the time has got to increase their lifespan over the "median condition". You have to think about whether they are the "good better or best" tires when they were new. Are you just towing a few miles to the lake or are you taking the boat all over America? Do you have spare(s) and a jack and a lugwrench always in the toolkit? I had original tires on the boat I just got this year, after further investigation, they were 1999 date code tires, and were showing signs of bad sidewall checking. I assume this trailer was garaged in winter and stored outside during summer, so about 50% each way. I brought it home about 40 miles with max speed of 55mph, and then promptly replaced with new radials. This boat lived on a lift so I bet the trailer never got 100 miles total in the 15 years before me.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh goody. There is a great source for used tires for the rest of us if you follow some of the advice here. Just let them go cheap. It's a great economic equalizer.

Or you could just understand that the tire will last many years if not exposed to things like ozone and ultraviolet. The volatiles in the rubber will slowly evaporate and that can start it cracking over many years. If it's hot that happens a little faster. Strangely, one of the best ways to regenerate a tire that is aging or has sat for many years is to use the tire. Working the rubber will spread the volatiles (the parts of petroleum that smell and vaporize easily) back out to the outside and stop it from cracking as easily. If you want to protect a tire that is going to sit for a long time the best thing to do is to spray it with pure silicone. If you then use the tire that slippery stuff will wear off quickly so there is not downside unless you want to drive like a racer out of your driveway.

After you take your trailer out for that drive to regenerate your rubber you could check if there are any bulges or cracks that have appeared. If that's the case you might want to replace them. If not, just keep them inflated and carry a spare and a jack. New tires get punctures too, so you need those anyway.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Never did understand how some people have non puncture tire failures, sometimes repeatedly.

Just replaced dad's tires that have over 16,000 miles on them, from 2002.

Mine are 2006, and look almost new, but only have 4000 miles on them.

The other boat trailer has 10 year old tires, miles unknown.

And the utility trailer tires are 11 years old, but will be replaced next month.

All tires are kept at max pressure on the sidewall, and make sure the load is well below the tire rating.
Also, rarely go over 60 mph when towing.

In 50 years we have only changed two failed trailers tire, both from punctures.
Make that 3, if you want to count the one that the bear chewed on.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I find that the person who never has tire issues is the guy who only trailers his aluminum boat 100 miles each way. Start towing a 8000# boat 2000 miles round trip and its a different story.

As far as putting anything on the sidewall of the tire like silicone spray, that's a losing battle. Please explain how putting something on the outside of a tire is going to prevent a tread separation...it won't. In fact, spraying something with a solvent in it(silicone spray) will likely hurt more then help.

alldodge

Staff member
I look at the tires and decide when and what to do. Trailer calls for 4 ply I use 6 ply, need 6 ply I use 8 or 10 ply. Also don't use radials on any trailer except my 10 ton tag trailer, all bias ply. After having a couple radials blow out with max air at the start and within 6 years of purchase, decided I like the vibration early in the morning, helps stir the coffee.

So far as how old the tires are, I've bought new and later find out they were already 3 years old. You just don't know how long they have sat in the warehouse.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So far as how old the tires are, I've bought new and later find out they were already 3 years old. You just don't know how long they have sat in the warehouse.
All you need to do is to look at the date code on the tire. I was on my way back on a trip when I had a tire failure and the first shop I went to was trying to sell me a 4 year old tire.

bigdee

Commander
Start towing a 8000# boat 2000 miles round trip and its a different story. .

Agree but for most of us that is not the norm. A little common sense goes a long way. The most important is to keep tires inflated to maximum. As far as age goes it depends on several factors such as inflation and load being close to tire limit. I carry a spare on all my trailers but have never used it and have no idea what the age of some of my tires are. For laughs and giggles I may look at the date code today!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't stir that up again Bruce. If you really believe that then you better replace your tires every 4 years b/c your beating (flexing) the crap out of them.
So you are saying that Maxis tires doesn't know what they are talking about?

For example, I use 225/75/15 tires on my trailer. With Load range C max PSI for a 2150# load is 50PSI. If you bought Load range E instead, why would you then inflate to the max of 80? The flexing won't be any different! In fact with 50PSI in the load range E with the same load, the flexing will be even less!

Last edited: