trailer level, hitch drop?

georgej207

Recruit
So I am still new to this boating world... i have a few towing questions... no one would believe my 1st tow ... but here goes.
should the trailer "spine" be level to the ground when towing?
how much tongue weight should be on the truck. when level there is 100# tongue weight but it seems light. if I need more is it OK to mover the post witth the winch an inch or more to increase weight?
I include a picture of the boat and trailer [trailer spine is level in pic & truck drops 1/2 inch when trailer is attached... how much of a drop should the 2" insert have??? is a 2" drop enough or do i need more. I bought the reese bc the bumper hitch is too high....
the top of the receiver is at the bottom of the 2" opening for the insert
I really appreciate this forum. thanks much!
​Georgej207

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes the trailer should be level how much drop depends on your vehicle... you will need to decide that yourself with a tape measure... tongue weight should be a percentage of trailer weight.... 10-15% is very common but there will be a few pop up claiming that's too much for a boat trailer and some of them usually cite European towing regs while others will cite a certain trailer manufacturer's specs inferring that that applies to all boat trailers.... I have never run ANY trailer at less than 10% and I HAVE had a trailer that was unstable with 8% and rock solid at12% on the same vehicle....... In the end you will have conflicting opinions and you will have to make a judgement call.

I WILL add tho that unless you have a limiting factor such as weight capacity of the tow rig or a long flimsy tongue on the trailer physics dictates that WITHIN REASON (no more than about 40%) more tongue weight makes for a more stable trailer though for most bumper pull trailers it's best not to exceed 15%.

Yes it is POSSIBLY ok to move the winch post to set tongue weight but the PREFERRED method is to move the axle(s}.... Ideally the stern of the boat should be even with the last crossmember of the trailer, the winch post should then be adjusted o the boat and finally the axle position should be set for desired tongue weight.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was towing my ATV trailer to my parents cabin a buncha years ago, to pick up a 4th ATV they had there. I had 3 on the trailer, 2 on the back, one on the front, and a big tool box up front in the open area. The tool box wasn't enough... I didn't have negative tongue weight, but it was light. Found out the hard way going down Parleys summit when the trailer started to sway- I slowed down, the swaying stopped, as I sped up it started swaying again, badly. I pulled over, moved the 3-wheeler to the front, and from then on the trailer tracked rock solid.

Correct tongue weight is extremely important!