POS China U-Bolt Kits

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought two galvanized Trailer Leaf Spring U-Bolt Kits, and only 1 of the 8 u-bolts fits the mounting plate holes. If I was out in the field trying to fix my trailer I'd be up the creek! If the U-bolts were too wide it, I'd just hammer them down, however, these are all too tight, how do you bend these out without gouging the the galvanizing or damaging the threads? This should not be, what's so difficult about making u-bolts and plates that fit each other?

Last edited:

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
My table vise isn't strong enough to take it, I figure that as soon as my son comes home I'll have to use two pipes lined with PVC and both of us have a tug at the wishbone.

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, with two steel pipes lined on the inside with PVC pipe, I was able to bend the u-bolts open without harming the galvanizing or the threads.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I always just flex em by hand up to 5/8" diameter... bigger than that IE semi truck stuff requires more leverage.

It isn't at all hard to bend them perfectly BUT it requires about triple as much time to do so... As we all know time is money... you didn't buy the most expensive parts you could find did you?... The manufacturer doesn't want to pay tripple the labor to make em and have to raise prices thus losing your business to the next el cheapo manufacturer in line.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For me if they can not make them the right size did they make them the right strength ? I hate Chinese stuff and avoid it

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
If the u-bolts fit the axle then the issue is they didn't punch the plates out correctly ( no surprise ) I would have simply started the nut on one side then used a spreader to properly align the plate and u bolt, slide the plate up, tighten nuts..............

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
If the u-bolts fit the axle then the issue is they didn't punch the plates out correctly ( no surprise ) I would have simply started the nut on one side then used a spreader to properly align the plate and u bolt, slide the plate up, tighten nuts..............

everything is made in China....:) we can blame USA corporate executives for that..........hmmmmmmm if you were a business owner.. would you pay someone $20/hr in the USA to make U bolts.. or $2/hr...... easy answer...........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
people in china make about $2 per day, not hour. and it is the consumer that wants everything cheap (dont care about quality, how cheap can I get it for shopping mentality) that drove the corporate execs to look to have things manufactured in China.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Just curious whats the exchange rate from dollars to yen?

And the highest corporate tax rates ,unions and Gov mandates is what dried up American manufacturing............

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
WOW you all have it wrong...... Plain and simple jobs go overseas because of supply and demand... nothing else..... We can get cheap labor in third world countries so we do.... Our 'wonderful' government fails to tax imports and level the playing field so it continues....

BTW we aren't supposed to discuss politics in the forums and yes I know I'm now guilty too.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
WOW you all have it wrong...... Plain and simple jobs go overseas because of supply and demand... nothing else..... We can get cheap labor in third world countries so we do.... Our 'wonderful' government fails to tax imports and level the playing field so it continues....

BTW we aren't supposed to discuss politics in the forums and yes I know I'm now guilty too.

Labor cost is just one small part of the cost of doing business..........If as you said earlier it was only 20 bucks an hour thats one thing.........but when ALL the costs of doing business in the USA is added together it makes sense to look elsewhere..........

Thats why Burger King is moving to Canada........Corporate tax rate

PS.......... we aint talkin politics we're talkin world economics.............

bigdee

Commander
For me if they can not make them the right size did they make them the right strength ? I hate Chinese stuff and avoid it

China has the capability to meet the highest quality standards in the world. They also have the capability to sell low cost/low quality junk BECAUSE there is a U.S. demand for it. So don't blame China...blame the importers who buy that crap.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
hmmm lets see......... 2012 per Forbes... "The ILO found wage earners in China made an average equivalent of just $656 a month, ranking them 57th out of the 72 countries the report covered." working all day 6-5 days per week to earn that.... or collect food stamps and other various entitlement programs? that's an easy one.... we can only blame ourselves for poor quality U Bolts

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just curious whats the exchange rate from dollars to yen?

And the highest corporate tax rates ,unions and Gov mandates is what dried up American manufacturing............

$1 US will buy 107 yen, buy why do you ask? The Japanese use yen as their unit of currancy. The Chinese use the yuan, and there are 6.13 yuan to the US dollar.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hmmm lets see......... 2012 per Forbes... "The ILO found wage earners in China made an average equivalent of just $656 a month, ranking them 57th out of the 72 countries the report covered." working all day 6-5 days per week to earn that.... or collect food stamps and other various entitlement programs? that's an easy one.... we can only blame ourselves for poor quality U Bolts

So that's all wage earners? Wonder what the average is for manufacturing though.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
$1 US will buy 107 yen, buy why do you ask? The Japanese use yen as their unit of currancy. The Chinese use the yuan, and there are 6.13 yuan to the US dollar.

You can count on one thing...............There one in every crowd...................