problems getting the boat back on the trailer

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah I vote side bunks and bunk slicks (trailer guides) - winch on easy farther out of the water.

And if you fart big enough to push a boat sideways, I'm impressed.

The Fart, was the WIFE.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
you don't say if you have them ,but get a set of trailer guides,you put them on the end of the trailer ,about an inch wider than the boat when it is on the trailer corectly
then it will go on next time with no problem.
ken

Naw, no side guides, I'm looking for some now, Thanks....

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I disagree...I don't want my boat sliding away from the winch before I get it unhooked This method would have the trailer too deep IMHO.... I back most boats in until the swim platform is just in the water.... Splash well drains for an outboard.......

Bunk slicks are a beautiful thing....

Guide bunks or poles and bunk slicks and keep the top of your trailer tires out of the water and you will have a real good starting point......

Ideally you should be able to unhook and then it should take a good push OR an idling motor in reverse to back the boat off the trailer..

I motor off no problem, sometimes a small push, getting it back on, not so good, lots of great ideas out there! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
At my local ramp, it seems for most bunk type trailers, backing in until 1/2-3/4 of your trailer fenders are underwater works perfectly. In any case, when you do find the sweet spot, your fenders make a good reference point you can see from your side mirror. Somebody said something about backing in until their swim platform gets wet but I don't know how you could even see that unless you had a spotter.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
...........Somebody said something about backing in until their swim platform gets wet but I don't know how you could even see that unless you had a spotter.
Read it again... that was a starting point to find correct depth..... obviously you can't see the swim platform from the truck but you can guess pretty close and get out to check or as you say have a spotter.... after finding the sweet spot to launch n load of course you should reference the trailer wheels/fenders... the swim platform would be tied to the dock while backing in to load :D

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

By the way, this is how I resolved the trailering issue I had. I added the outer bunks. It slips in sooooooo easy now. Took about 20 hours of cutting, measuring, welding, painting and wrapping the new bunks. It worked better then I would have guessed.

Attachments

• photo208790.jpg
    photo208790.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229861.jpg
    photo229861.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 0

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Picture 1 is before, picture 2 shows middle bunk extended forward

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I don't know what all this talk is about fenders and bunks and depth while backing in. I look at the stern of the boat in relation to the trailer. As soon as it starts to lift off of the trailer, I am there. Then I unhook the winch and push her off. Take a quick pic of my mirror in relation to a landmark so I know where to back in when loading. Works on every ramp regardless of angle.

oldjeep

Admiral
I don't know what all this talk is about fenders and bunks and depth while backing in. I look at the stern of the boat in relation to the trailer. As soon as it starts to lift off of the trailer, I am there. Then I unhook the winch and push her off. Take a quick pic of my mirror in relation to a landmark so I know where to back in when loading. Works on every ramp regardless of angle.

That doesn't work with boats with front bunks. My stern can be several inches above the rear bunk and that boat isn't coming off the trailer. All depends on the specific boat, trailer and launch.