Greasing trailer rollers

mark156531

Cadet
I'm just wondering if I can make my boat roll onto the trailer easier if I grease the rollers. Is there a special grease or oil that I should use or is not a good idea to grease the rollers? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I suppose it depends on which rollers you're talking about. If keel rollers then I believe SeaSense sells a 5/8" roller axle shaft that has grease fittings on them. Even then I think that the only way it would make a differeance is if you are using rollers that have a steel liner in them.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Launch boat, tie up at dock, lookit rollers. Are they hard to turn? feel dry or gritty on rotation? Condition of rubber? See if they come apart, can be lubed, or just simply need replacement. One of the members here has a tag line - Any grease is better than no grease. I would use Marine Grease. If they cannot be disassembled and greased - then perhaps a bit of oil will help. Comes a time, however, when it's just time for new.

Blaine

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Launch boat, tie up at dock, lookit rollers. Are they hard to turn? feel dry or gritty on rotation? Condition of rubber? See if they come apart, can be lubed, or just simply need replacement. One of the members here has a tag line - Any grease is better than no grease. I would use Marine Grease. If they cannot be disassembled and greased - then perhaps a bit of oil will help. Comes a time, however, when it's just time for new.

Blaine

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have bunks with centering rollers. They have plastic liners, so I figure they really don't need to be greased. I have run the boat up a few times, and it works, but I don't always have someone with me to help out. I can do it on my own, but prefer someone to go get my trailer while I drive the boat up. Anyway, I just decided I prefer to dock my boat, and float it on, then winch it into position. Seems to work best for me. I have a summer boat, and don't mind getting a little wet. Even if I want to run it in the Puget Sound, I can always just wear my waders.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use white lithium spray grease on mine. yes it does get washed away a bit more easily than if I were to use a marine grease, however I can lube up the rollers from a few inches away