Tell me everything I need to know about surge brakes

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I have a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. I have checked fluid in the reservoir and it looks fine. I have a 4 pin plug but have drum brakes. I don't know how to test the brakes to make sure they are working or what special things I should be doing when reversing. It seems that disc brakes are probably the only ones that have backup problems and require a solenoid, but also, should I be locking out the surge brake feature on my trailer when reversing? I was told there should be a pin somewhere, but I don't have that.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
the answer is "it depends" for example you MAY have dexter free backing brakes... those don't work in reverse so no lockout is needed...

Until you know what you have you won't know what to do... you CAN lay 2x4's behind the tires and try to back over them... if you succeed w/o issue then backing up is a non issue... one way I have tested surge brakes in the past was to unhook the winch cable from the boat and hook it where the safety chain hooks to the truck.... crank it tight and try to pull forward... trailer brakes SHOULD resist you...

At long last tho I feel that I have FINALLY mastered surge brakes for good... I now toss em in the junk pile and install new electric brakes on all surge trailers....

THAT is 'all I need to know about surge brakes' from now on lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have a picture of your actuator or the brand and model? Pretty much pointless to give any advice until we know what you have?

Last edited:

slag

Chief Petty Officer
It's on a cobalt 252 trailer which is too large for my boat, but that's what came with it.

Attachments

• cobalt.jpg
    cobalt.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 16

slag

Chief Petty Officer
all of the photo hosting sites are blocked at my work, so I'll take better photos and link them when I get home.

haulnazz15

Captain
The manufacturing name/model on the hitch actuator itself would be more helpful than pics. The reverse solenoid is nicer to have on all braking systems (aside from the free-backing). It keeps you from having to get out and flip the switch every time you back up. Discs are better than drum brakes in terms of maintenance and such, but either will perform just fine on a boat trailer if working properly.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses and all the help through this forum.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you're up for pulling a wheel and brake drum, check the shoe actuator plungers.

Pic below shows 2 types-- The top pic has only one shoe plunger, that presses the forward shoe only. These are "directional" or "free backing" brakes, typical of surge brake systems. Bottom pic shows a typical 2-plunger actuator, usually used on cars and trucks.

If you have directional brakes, you should be okay to back up without any lockout...

brakeact.jpg