Ball gets stuck- Help please!

Jason147

Recruit
No matter what truck I hook my boat up to, it gets stuck on the ball.. I tried adjusting the front of the hitch with no luck. Any advice? I tried uploading a photo but for some reason it won't let me.. The trailer came with the 1991 Reinell boat. Tandem axle, 1991, has a bolt going through hitch thing. Thank you much!! Jason

oldjeep

Admiral
Hard to say with no pictures, but if it happens on every ball then you might need to replace/rebuild the coupler as something may be bent.

Use photobucket for pictures, the forum has been screwed up for months

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
has a bolt going through hitch thing.

You mean an adjustment nut? It might be set too tight.
You can try greasing the ball.
Also helps when your trailer is level.
Check for burrs or knicks on the ball or on the wedge of the coupler that might be causing it to bind. File off what you can.
After I've backed my trailer up into my storage unit, I put my truck in neutral and let go of the brake, let the rig settle, then put in park to release any tension on the ball.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Is the ball and coupler the same size? You might be putting a 2 inch ball in a 1-7/8" coupler (can be done if the coupler is worn a bit). Does the ball go into the coupler easily?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I know exactly what you mean! I've got a 2" coupler that is more like 1 15/16th's. It is not the locking tongue, the coupler itself is simply just too small. Easiest way is to take a dremel and grind a little away on the bottom edge of it, just keep grinding and test fitting with a free ball. (easier than lifting/jacking the trailer each time.)

seanymphmike

Cadet
"has a bolt going through hitch thing." ? Are you talking about the latch on the coupler? There's a hole in the latch intended to take a hitch lock for added security. If the latch is closed with a bolt through that hole are you maybe forcing a 2" couple over a 1-7/8" ball? If so, get rid of the bolt, raise the latch and the hitch should come free. If that's the case, thereafter be sure your ball and coupler are both the same size.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I know exactly what you mean! I've got a 2" coupler that is more like 1 15/16th's. It is not the locking tongue, the coupler itself is simply just too small. Easiest way is to take a dremel and grind a little away on the bottom edge of it, just keep grinding and test fitting with a free ball. (easier than lifting/jacking the trailer each time.)

MUCH better plan would be to replace the defective coupler

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Some joker did couple a 2 inch coupler to a 1 7/8 inch ball on one of my utility trailers. They did slightly bend the coupler and the first time I hitched it to a 2 inch ball, it stuck. I had to really sweat to get it off. Once I realized what happened, I spent about an hour enlarging the ball opening to its correct size.

If you do not have some heavy duty tools, it would be way easier to (as mentioned above) simply buy another 2 inch coupler--they only cost around 20-30 bucks.

oldjeep

Admiral
Some joker did couple a 2 inch coupler to a 1 7/8 inch ball on one of my utility trailers. They did slightly bend the coupler and the first time I hitched it to a 2 inch ball, it stuck. I had to really sweat to get it off. Once I realized what happened, I spent about an hour enlarging the ball opening to its correct size.

If you do not have some heavy duty tools, it would be way easier to (as mentioned above) simply buy another 2 inch coupler--they only cost around 20-30 bucks.

A coupler meant for a utility trailer might be $20-$30, one used on a tandem trailer is typically a bunch more expensive.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
a 5000 lb jetski trailer????

yes my 24' EZ loader tandem has one just like it except rated for 6000 lbs

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Does the trailer have surge brakes? That would involve a completely different type of coupler.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not all couplers are quality pieces, some work better than others right out of the box. You can fix the engineering or damage on what you have or buy a new one that will fit and function better.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 89 Reniell and a lot of them in that eera came on TI trailers with teh coupler welded as part of the full trailer. Mine was sticking to the ball all the time. I took a close look and noticed that when I opened the latch the lip on the coupler was opening far enough it was catching on the draw bar. I now use the jack on the boat to take a slight bit of weight off the draw bar then open the coupler. It hasn't stuck a single time since I started doing this.