Bearing question

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Got a new trailer for my tinny.There was slop in the hubs so I took them apart to adjust the bearings. There is a zirk on the end of the spindal that looks like a grease passage to the hole for the cotter pin and there was no washer outside the outer bearing under the castle nut.The bearings appear to be seated properly as I tightened the castle to check,however the positon of the cotter pin hole in relation to the castle nut does not allow the precise adjustment and I am not sure that the pin would fit if a washer was installed.I think 425lb would be the standard load with trailer included.Should I just run em? Outer races looke perfect and the entire hub was full of fresh looking grease.Thanks -B

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
if your set up calls for a washer (every one that I've seen does), a washer should be there to keep things tight...

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you tighten the castle nut so the hub and wheel are not able to be moved by rocking the wheel with top and bottom hand positions, its ok to go back a little to allow for the cotter pin to be installed. If you crank it up to the next hole in the castle nut you will stress the bearing and may prematurely fail.
It should have a washer on it under the castle nut.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Best adjustment is with an eighth inch or so of play at the tire. Loose is LOTS better than tight. You will never burn out a loose bearing, you'll quickly burn out a tight one. So put it back where it was form the factory - that sounds right.

Metal expands when it gets warm. If you tighten a wheel bearing down, it will get lots tighter as it warms up and the lube gets hot and runs out and the next thing you have destroyed it and your wheel falls off. Leave a bit of play and it will never do that.

I tend to remove the zerk off those EasyLube axles and replace with bearing buddies for my customers. Reason being that for a EasyLube to actually grease the bearing the hub has to be 100% full. For the EasyLube to be effective in greasing the bearings you would need lube coming out the inner seal. With a bearing buddy you clean your bearings once a year and repack - easiest is with those cone shaped packers and a grease gun of marine grease. Then every last time, right before you put it in the water, put 3 pumps off a grease gun in the bearing buddy. This pushes the spring out a little on the bearing buddy - exactly what it is designed to do. Then when you back into the water and your hubs quickly cool down and shrink, instead of sucking a drop of water in at the seal it pulls a little spring loaded grease in from the bearing buddy. Do not ever fill the bearing buddies before heading down the road - all that does is by the time you get to your destination all that grease is in the hubs doing nothing except overfilling them. End of the year, pull your hubs and bearings, wash everything out with thinner and inspect, re-grease and off you go for another year. An empty 3500 pound hub is good for literally 90 or 100 trips to the ramp with 3 pumps. And you'll never get water in your hubs.

Rick

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a couple washers to see if that would help with the adjustment,I will get it as close as possible and run it down the road.

robert graham

Admiral
Best way to adjust the bearings is to put the trailer on a jack so you can spin the wheel with your left hand while tightening the castle nut with your right hand fingertips....you can feel it when it's just right....just a bit of slack...install the cotter pin and you're set to go!.....

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
What kind of axle is it? The reliable sure lube axles have a grease outlet in the back so you pump it full of grease and the seals won't be disturbed.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
And I should be more specific, there's a zerk on the dust cap to fill grease and an orifice n the axle that allows grease flow. Make sure the hub is full of clean grease.