My inexpensive tow vehicle

64osby

Admiral
Quite often here I see posts saying can I tow this or questioning weight capacity, someone that doesn't really want to get a proper vehicle for towing their boat.

I didn't really have that issue, but my old tow vehicle is a 1992 Caprice wagon with 250K on it. It still did the job but was becoming a pain. Every time we wanted to use it I had to unload my tools, I'm a carpenter. The wagon works great for hauling my tools and the boat but not at the same time.

I finally convinced the Admiral that we should get a "family" vehicle. It's use is towing the boat, the camper and family trips and outings. Not a daily driver.

Having looked online at many many vehicles I decided that a Suburban was the best option for our needs. Good towing capacity, big back seat (my 14 year old son is 6' 1"), can seat 8 with the third seat and gas mileage is seemingly similar for most SUV's and crew cab pick-ups.

After searching many months and many states and convincing the Admiral we found a Suburban that fit.

A one owner 1997 1500 2WD, cloth interior, most options, a little paint fade and basically rust free. Found it in central Indiana. Most vehicles in Michigan this age are plagued with rust on the doors, rockers and wheel wells.

The big issue it had was it had been home to a more than a few mice over the last year.

The first thing I did was cut out the rear portion of the head liner.

More than enough to make the eyes water.

A couple trips to the local auto recycling yards and $65 poorer I was able to get a new headliner, 2 rear speakers, upper brake light, 2 sets of interior cabin lights, 3 upholstered panels for the rear interior, 2 plastic rear corners, a jack holding bracket and nut, upper front console, 2 sun visors and a few other small plastic pieces.

We spent about 20 hours removing most of the interior, cleaning, spraying everything with a vinegar/baking soda/water mix and replacing all the interior parts.

The drive train has 190K and appears to be in excellent condition. No drips or leaking gaskets. Brakes will need some work before winter, the bearing were greased and the oil changed. It is rated to tow 6,500# and has a brake controller and a 7 prong plug

One week later we hauled the boat up north for vacation, a little over 200 miles.

We arrived safe sound and almost rested ( well the kids were).

During the week of vacation we put just over 800 miles on it, we averaged 15.7 mpg which included 450 miles of towing.

Last weekend we traveled to Northern Indiana where I picked up 4 Michelin tires with OEM rims and 75% tread for $120.

The A/C compressor is leaking, I charged it before vacation and it worked good but is now dead. I bought a rebuilt one on line and it should arrive later this week. I already plugged the rear A/C lines.

The total investment for the "Turd" to make it smell better, look good and travel safely in comfort has been $2,120.00.

I know this is not for everyone, some will buy a newer TV. For us this fits the bill perfectly. Small investment with no payments. Hauls and tows what we have and very family friendly.

Thought I would share my idea of a dedicated tow / family outing vehicle. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Nice job and nice application of a little work to get something that's perfect for your family. Glad It's working out for you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I've had several suburban's n have an 89 4x4 now with a 6.2 diesel... they are great for just about everything..... congrats and here's to many years of good use..... next move might be to swap out the old caprice for another suburban lol

64osby

Admiral
I've had several suburban's n have an 89 4x4 now with a 6.2 diesel... they are great for just about everything..... congrats and here's to many years of good use..... next move might be to swap out the old caprice for another suburban lol

SHHHHH, wouldn't want the Admiral to see what's been running through my head. I'm just waiting for the wagon to fall apart, if it ever will.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
easy let the son "accidentally" back the hitch on the new burb into the side of the caprice during a driving lesson..... then point out to her that he is completely unharmed due to the inherent safety of the vehicle....

64osby

Admiral
A couple week ago he ran the go kart into the Cadillac. Wish it would have been the wagon. I really just need a tree to fall on it like my last one.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice. Make sure to replace the accumulator and orifice tube/expansion valve and flush it good when you put in the new compressor.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome - I've seen burbs with over 200k on them, still being used a their daily driver for sale still asking a few grand for them. Great deal.

64osby

Admiral
^^^ My brother has a 2000 with over 445k on the original drive train. Still a daily driver.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Nice find!
I recently sold my '96 K2500 Suburban. Hated to see it go, but since downsizing the boat I just haven't had a need for a 3/4 ton and its poor fuel economy. I picked up a very nice '99 Tahoe to replace it.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
When charging the ac make sure to read up on the correct amount of Freon. With the rear ac they take more than you think and charge to a higher pressure too.

64osby

Admiral
Nice find!
I recently sold my '96 K2500 Suburban. Hated to see it go, but since downsizing the boat I just haven't had a need for a 3/4 ton and its poor fuel economy. I picked up a very nice '99 Tahoe to replace it.

jt - yea don't need the 454 gas hog. The Tahoe's are basically the same just shorter. For the same mileage I went with longer vehicle, unless it's an XL.

64osby

Admiral
When charging the ac make sure to read up on the correct amount of Freon. With the rear ac they take more than you think and charge to a higher pressure too.

I plugged the rear lines, the po said they leaked and I didn't want to mess with them at this point. Too many $$$$ to mess with. If I lived down south
I'd think about it.

Freon should be about 2.6 lbs for the front.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
THE most important thing is not how much weight you can pull, its how much weight you can stop! Listed capacities apply to new. Make sure your brakes are very, very, up to par, cause if you cannot stop, you will wish you had never gotten it moving in the first place...

( remember - wolf creek pass, C.W. McCall )

Blaine