Spindle Damage

52Alumacraft

Cadet
I'm doing a little routine maintenance so I thought it would be good to re-pack the bearings. When I pulled the right hub off I found the spindle gouged up in the curved area where the inner bearing sits. Hopefully you can see the pictures. Is the spindle ruined or can it be saved? The surface the seal runs on is pretty rough too but I am not as worried about it.

This is a 3500Lb Shorelander trailer SLR2314SW. I put a Kodiak brake kit on it 3 years ago and it has made 3 runs to Canada at 1500 miles each plus a few short trips around home so maybe 5000 miles all together.

Appreciate any comments you might have.

Attachments

• photo207186.JPG
    photo207186.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo207187.JPG
    photo207187.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo207188.JPG
    photo207188.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 0

52Alumacraft

Cadet
Oh boy do I feel silly. That is the spindle sleeve I'm all worried about. :embarassed: It might be a little tough to remove though.
But do I need a spindle sleeve? Seems like water could easily get under the sleeve and into the bearing. The replacement seals I got from e-trailer are about 0.030" smaller inside diameter than the originals. They don't show a sleeve in their repair parts so I wonder if the idea is to leave the sleeves off?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It doesn't look too bad but you can take some emery cloth to the surface where the bearing rides.

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can get new sleeves from Shoreland'r. The old ones come off with heat. The sleeves are quite thin. Sanding them will do more damage than good. Use LocTite Red to install new sleeves. The seals will not last very long running on those grooved sleeves. Seal is standard size.

52Alumacraft

Cadet
Thanks for the good advice. I have some parts coming in the mail and should be back on the road this weekend.