Towing Advice 2008 Nissan Pathfinder + 2006 Hurricane SD 217

RobTX

Cadet
Hello all,

I'm considering a 2006 Hurricane SD 217. Stated weight of the boat is 4,206 (dry) and trailer title shows 1,000lbs. 52 gallon tank adds about 300lbs of fuel and water system adds another 150. I'm tacking on another 100 for equipment, etc. This gets me right up to around 5,700lbs. My max towing capacity is 6,000. All this in mind, if I were to transport the boat I would get as much of the gas/water out to save on weight when travelling.

Short term plans are to store the boat in covered storage, and launch the boat at a public slip a few miles from the storage location. This will go on until about March-May of next year when a slip at the marina I plan to use opens up. I will not be taking the boat any large distances, except in the next few weeks to have some cosmetic repair work done, maybe 35-50 miles away. Long term, I don't plan on dragging the boat from lake to lake in TX, but I might.

I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder v6 2X4. I've never towed a vehicle before (seen it done plenty of times). I know I'm 'close' to my max towing limit. If I pull the trigger on this boat, am I too close for comfort? If I'm OK, any advice on how to tow when you're close to your maximum weight?

tpenfield

Staff member
You will get a variety of opinions, from 'no sweat' all the way to 'nothing less than an F-350 will do the job'. My opinion is that you are OK and well thought to try to reduce the traveling weight. You will also want to go at a slightly slower speed, given the experience level and the fact that you are close to the rated maximum.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with Ted's assessment that you will get many opinions

you are close to the max and you have a short wheel based vehicle. not the best combination, however it can be done. the short wheel base will be the biggest detriment as the boat will wag the SUV a bit, especially at highway speeds with any side-wind.

for short trips, especially below highway speeds, you should be fine. However make sure the SUV tires are pumped up to max (on the tire, not the comfort rating placard on the door jam), make sure your shocks and suspension are in good working order. make sure the trailer is properly maintained as well.

the 4x4 will help greatly when launching and retrieving, especially on slick ramps (algae, seaweed, etc)

RobTX

Cadet
Thanks all-

On the highways I plan on keeping my speed no higher than 50mph- right lane all the way. I don't have 4WD, only 2WD. What kind of incline can I handle on boat ramps given the boat/trailer weight and my vehicle?

oldjeep

Admiral
Only thing I'll add is - weigh the thing. The 1000lbs even on the trailer title doesn't sound like an actual weight.

I'd be a little concerned with the short wheelbase, light vehicle and trying to pull that boat out of the water without 4wd or low range. I'd make sure to do a test dip, put it in the water and then see if you can pull it out - preferably with a friend and a tow strap nearby.

RobTX

Cadet
The test dip is a good idea. I can select 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. So this leads me to other questions.

1) When pulling on an incline, which gear is best?
2) When pulling on fairly level roads, I presume having my SUV in 'drive' is ok?
3) There's one stretch of road I'm concerned about- the road dips into a shallow valley and back up a hill again- how best to navigate that stretch?

Thanks guys!

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
+1 on getting it weighed. You'll want to pay attention to your rear axle weight, total combined weight and total vehicle weight. You could go over any of these without going over your tow rating.

Rule of thumb is 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and add 4" of wheelbase for every foot on the trailer for maximum stability.

I'd also check the ratings on of your hitch receiver. There should due a sticker right on the receiver. It doesn't matter if your tow vehicle is rated for 10,000 lbs if your hitch is only rated for 2,000 lbs. Depending on the class, you might have two ratings, one dead weight and another with weight distribution. I'm guessing at best you have a class 3/4 with 5000lbs rating with weight distribution hitch (wdh) unless you did an upgrade.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just leave it in drive it will automatically start off in first.
We have a 2007 pathfinder and I pulled my boat which is pretty close to yours in weight.
IMO, it was pretty underpowered, and the tounge weight pretty much bottomed out the IRS.
I didnt like the overall way it handled.
If it was short distances and low speed(45 or less) I guess I could tolerate it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
at the ramps I visit which are algae covered, I couldnt retrieve either of my boats without four wheel drive.

I highly recommend a test dip.

FWIW, I still pull people out when their F350 diesel dually 2WD is sitting and spinning on the slime trying to retrieve their 30' grady white with 4 people in the bed trying to get traction. I dont even unhook my boat, just put it in 4WD, pull down the ramp enough to hook on and back up pulling them up to dry pavement.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'll want to look at your owner' manual for towing specifics. I would think you would have a tow/haul mode that you could engage and be done with it at least until you get to know how your truck handles under the load.

For pulling off the ramp, I always put in 1st gear. Ya never know when you'll need to gun it. Atleast if you're in first, you can't go too fast and fly off the ramp.

RobTX

Cadet
I'm in Texas and the ramps I've seen aren't algae covered; pretty dry. So I'm guessing from the feedback that I'm 'close' on this and that I should be prepared to be friendly with someone with a bigger truck than me from time to time. : )

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - I towed my 24 foot F-242 with an Explorer V-8 rated to tow 7K lbs. My typical load was 6,500 lbs, so right near the maximum capacity, similar to your situation.

Did that for 7 years. Went 55-60 on the highways. You definitely knew you were towing something, and you weren't going to win any races, but overall, it was fine.

So, you can try it, be careful; if it does not work out, find some buddies with a bigger truck.

Last edited:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also FWIW, I read threads similar to this one all the time asking about how much a tow vehicle's limits can be pushed and inevitably in most cases, there is a comment made about "going slow" or staying under a certain speed. This approach seems to make sense but probably made without thinking of those situations when driving conditions might require faster than intended max speed, such as when momentum is needed to get up and over rolling hills so speed is increased. Or what happens when cruising along fine "going slow" and think that you can probably go a little faster without any problems? Then you go a little faster yet. Before you know it, you're not "going slow" anymore. Going slow or upgrading suspension or adding weight distribution hitches may seem like it makes a tow vehicle more capable or "ok" to tow xxxx lbs within/over the limit, but does nothing to increase the tow vehicle's ratings.

So yes, take care when operating your rig especially if you have any doubts of its capabilities but also be mindful of how you might be rationalizing your decision to operate your rig in the way that you're operating it. I think all of us have been a little guilty from time to time of being creative in this manner. It probably turned out just fine but personally, I sometimes need to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I see at least 4 potential issues:
1) traction, does it at least have a limited slip differential? If your ramps are good, it might be ok but keep in mind, the boat weights MORE than the tow vehicle.
2) trailer brakes, at that weight you have a tandem trailer and it should have brakes on BOTH axles. Not just one.
3) tongue weight, at that weight your tongue weight will be substantial and you will have a lot of sag in the rear and that will give the tow vehicle an unbalanced feeling. I have used Bilstein high pressure gas shocks and air bags in the rear coils of my Jeeps and they make a big difference towing.
4) cooling of both the engine and trans, a tow package sometimes includes a bigger radiator and an aux cooler. I'd find out what Nissan included in the tow package for those vehicles. If it doesn't have one for sure I'd install an aux cooler. I put a B&M Supercooler in my 98 Jeep and it did lower the trans temps a lot.

RobTX

Cadet
1) I believe so- will check
2) Does come with trailer brakes
3) Will watch for this - I checked the stamp on my hitch; rating says 6,000lbs
4) Will keep an eye on this, too; only travelling 5 mins down the road to dip the boat in the water

By the way- measured the length of the trailer and boat today...overall the package is 28"...is this an issue?