Trailer backup lights

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I fish a lot and typically leave in the dark. I have to back down my driveway (long story, but only option) and it's not a straight shot. I have placed reflectors in key areas but it's still difficult to see and I only have a couple feet on each side max. I was thinking about adding backup lights to my trailer to help out. Any suggestions? I assume I have to add another wire at a minimum.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
How about backing UP the driveway in the daylight the day before you leave.
Mike

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
While I have wished for nice bright back reverse lights on my trailer more than once, I haven't come up with a good plan that doesn't compromise the wiring or make a mess out of it.

Best solution I have is 2 bright led flashlights with magnetic mounts. Place one on each corner of the trailer when needed. Remove them before heading down the hi-way.

I found some pretty cheap at a Fleet n Farm (Tractor Supply).

bfjou812

Seaman Apprentice
I would use a 7 pin plug and connect one of the pins to the reverse lights and add the lights to the trailer. I did this years ago when I was racing. I also added a switch inline so I could use the lights to aid in loading the car at night .It would require rewiring the trailer but I thought it was well worth it.

oldjeep

Admiral
Yup, convert the trailer to either 5 or 7 pin - both have the wiring for reverse. Mine came with some big bright LED reverse lights, handy for the one time I have actually backed it up in the dark.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My trailer came with backup lights too. They are handy but IMO, you can't have enough light when backing up in the dark. I open my garage and turn on all my exterior lights on my house.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Great suggestions, thanks! I'm leaning toward the magnetic flashlights and a couple more solar motion lights. Easy peasy.
I'd love to back up the driveway in the daylight but the only way I can store the boat in the carport is to back it in after driving forward up the driveway. It's an old pic but you can see my problem. The carport actually straddles our drainfield and the 2x12s are to distribute the weight of the boat and not disturb/compact the soil. My septic installer said it was OK so that's where it sits and that's my night time backup problem!

Attachments

• photo207160.jpg
    photo207160.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You need to pull anchors and rotate your carport 90-120 degrees.... THEN you can easily back the boat up the driveway into the carport... Now THAT's easy peasy.. add a couple motion lights to the carport and you can back under it in the dark easily.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
OR move it over closer to the bank n maybe you could make a u-turn n pull the boat out and down the driveway tho I'm leaning toward turning the carport 90 deg

64osby

Admiral
I added some LED lights using a separate 4 prong plug and wires. Great for night loading and helpful for backing up. Unplug the trailer lights and plug in the other circuit.

ShoreLandrAuxLights3-1.jpg

Texas-20120930-00438.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
use a 2 flat instead of 4... that will plug into the ground and tail of the 4 flat... you don't want your backup ights flashing w turn signals or brakes anyhow

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't get me wrong... I wasn't bashing your setup (I like it)... just pointing out that he can use a 2 wire instead.. the sell em in the same place as the 4 wire

64osby

Admiral
No offense taken.:) My plug happens to be a 3 prong. The 4th broke off a long time ago.:joyous: