5 pin wiring harness - blue wire is about 1.3 volts

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've bought the 5 pin wiring harness to allow the blue wire to connect to my solenoid bypass (I have a disc brake hydraulic actuator). Just to test things out, I connected the 5 pin harness to my adapter, had my son put the truck in reverse, and I measure voltage from the blue wire across to the white wire. I got a voltage of around 1.3-1.4 volts. Does that sound right? Was I measuring it correctly?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
No! That is not right. But then we don't know if you have the meter set correctly, reading it correctly, or whether there is a problem with the vehicle wiring.
1) Make sure the meter is set to DC volts.
2) Measure from the blue wire terminal to the CHASSIS of the tow vehicle.
3) If you still measure less than 12 volts, there is a wiring issue on the tow vehicle.
4) If you now measure 12 volts, there is a ground wire issue on the tow vehicle.

The reversing solenoid needs 12 volts to operate.

oldjeep

Admiral
Sounds like the range is off on your multimeter. Is it auto ranging or manual?

Maclin

Admiral
Does the meter show 0 volts when not in Reverse? And ground to the chassis as mentioned.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am so sorry - yes I went out there this evening (with my son in the car) and re-checked my multimeter settings and re-checked the blue wire. I must have had it set to the 200 volt range. It reads a solid 12.3 volts in the proper range (20 v range setting). Hey at least I know I'm getting good power when I go to finalize my brake line connections.