brake shoe size

ron755

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1998 Stratos tralier that needs brake shoes. What shoes do I ask for at the parts store? I carried my old ones in and they were suppose to match them up, got home they didn't fit. Can somebody help?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are many places on the web where you can buy brake shoes. Your chance of bringing them in to an auto parts store and matching them up are slim to none. Trailer brakes are free backing and they need special shoes.

Take a look here to see if yours are like any of these.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acce...um_Brakes.aspx

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I found that new fully loaded backing plates were cheaper than just the shoes alone.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or the hardware. however a new fully loaded galvanized backing plate was $48. new shoes alone were $50

mandmj

Seaman
My recent experience w/ changing shoes demonstrated that the shoes are standard automotive items, if you can find the cross reference. My shoes were off an EZ Loader w/ UFP hubs/brakes (boat buddy). on the shoe is stamped a number, which is the FMSI number, which defines the shape/dimensions of the pad. using just the number (154 in my case) and putting that into oreilly's search on their web page showed me the right pads. Turns out they are from a 1971 torino, rear brakes. If you cant find the number, you may be able to download the brake manufacture's manual which should give you the info you need. the shoes for both sides of my brake axle were a whopping $18.