Trailer Light Placement Question

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Haven't worried about this much since I've never trailed my boat when lights have been needed. Now that I have some more time I expect to be trailing my boat when it will be necessary to use the lights. So, I want to comply with both the California DMV and the Federal DOT requirements.

Checked out some trailers at the Shelter Island launch ramp this week. Lighting systems are all over the map. Some I'd question if they could be legally towed at high noon. I was, however, impressed with the creativeness of the fellow who had duck taped an old flashlight to the rear of his trailer frame :)

Anyways, first thing I want to figure out is the front side marker lamps. My trailer is less than 80 inches wide so, as near as I can determine they are not required under California DMV regs. However, they are under the DOT regs.

Here's a picture of my current rig. #1 shows existing rear brake, turn, tail and plate lights and also rear side marker lights incorporated. #2 shows existing, inoperable front side marker lamps. I just removed these today, since I read on this forum that, even if not required, if you have them they are expected to work..

My question is, can I relocate the front side marker lights to the area shown as #3? This will keep them high and dry during launch/retrieval.

trailer lights1.jpg

rvaughn704

Cadet
Yes you can relocate the marker lights to #3 position on the picture.
But if it was me I would add side marker lights up around the frt roller keel. I just like for the other guy to see me and not hit me.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Yes you can relocate the marker lights to #3 position on the picture.
But if it was me I would add side marker lights up around the frt roller keel. I just like for the other guy to see me and not hit me.

That's one of the things that was confusing me. What you suggest would put the lights on the tongue. The DOT diagrams show the lights all the way up at the winch post. If I didn't want to get hit, or didn't want to hit a trailer, seems like I'd want the forward marker lights at the wide part of the trailer, not on the tongue.

rvaughn704

Cadet
I am talking about the roller on the Btm of the Boat. Looks like a Sticker of some kind is close to where i am talking about.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I am talking about the roller on the Btm of the Boat. Looks like a Sticker of some kind is close to where i am talking about.

Yes, that's the Mfg. sticker showing capacity. It is right at the start of the tongue and under the boat (when it's on the trailer). I'm puzzled at the value of a side-marker light at that location or anywhere forward of that location.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The light or reflector near the winch is so an oncoming driver can see that a trailer is behind the tow vehicle when pulling out into traffic. It is visible before the side maker/reflectors if the trailer is blocked from view.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Ah. OK, that makes sense. I'll take a look at following the DOT diagram and putting it on the winch post.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
OK, took the first steps. Added red reflectors at the rear, which (near as I can tell) brings me into compliance with the California DMV regs. Also added amber reflectors on the winch post which is a step towards DOT conformity.

Still pondering the front-side lights locations. Also need to get some more stick-on amber and red reflectors to locate as per DOT regs.

Moving ahead, slowly but (I hope) surely, thanks to the assistance from this site.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

photo207135.jpg photo207135.jpg
The light or reflector near the winch is so an oncoming driver can see that a trailer is behind the tow vehicle when pulling out into traffic. It is visible before the side maker/reflectors if the trailer is blocked from view.

Consider driving towards a truck pulling a trailer from right to left across your path, as at an intersection. The side marker light can be seen long before a reflector can and days before the boat itself makes itself visible in your headlights. For that reason, I suggest having lit side markers up around the bow of the boat. You may not see them approaching head on but who said you could only put one set on your trailer? The LED side markers draw essentially no amperage

Attachments

• attach8445376.jpg
    attach8445376.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Understandable. But if he hits you because you had a reflector and not a side light, he was going to hit you anyway. Often a reflector is more visible than a light, especially on a dark road.