Zieman Trailer Question

Tart79

Recruit
I have another Zieman trailer question. Sorry I am not familiar with the correct terms. My winch is bolted to a plate that is welded to a square post that slides into a female post that is welded to the main frame of the trailer. The plate and post used to fit snug now they wiggle quite severly (the male post inside the female) I recently changed the saftey chain and removed the bolt so figure I screwed somthing up but am unsure what. You can see in the picture that I can easily lift up the plate now. You couldn't before. Any ideas how these to secure these pieces? photo 0.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Does that bolt holding the chain press against the inner square tube? My guess is that used a thicker chain, washer or shorter bolt when you were messing with the safety chain. I'd be surprised if that bolt was really supposed to be for a safety chain and not just the adjuster for the winch post.

Last edited:

Tart79

Recruit
Ok, That kind of crossed my mind as I did go with a thicker chain. Do you think it would be as simple a system as just pressing against the post? I am going to pull the post right out next time I have the boat off. Was a tad concerned to tow "as is" as I don't know how long that loose post is. Thanks for replying.

oldjeep

Admiral
Ok, That kind of crossed my mind as I did go with a thicker chain. Do you think it would be as simple a system as just pressing against the post? I am going to pull the post right out next time I have the boat off. Was a tad concerned to tow "as is" as I don't know how long that loose post is. Thanks for replying.

If the chain is fatter and you want to leave it there then get a longer bolt. And yes, it is likely just a bolt pressing against the post.