Tie Down calipers - are they shot? Switch to Kodiac?

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Attached are pictures of my Tie Down disc calipers that may not be useable. I've tried to push the pistons back a little and they won't budge (maybe they are bottomed out already?). Anyway, I obtained them and the discs at a cheap price. Looking at the calipers, are they even worth trying to see if they're any good. On on of the calipers, it looks like the boot locking ring came off, and I'm worried salt water has made it's way into the interior.

Offhand, will Kodiac calipers fit onto this Tie Down disc hub setup?

Phil K.

Cadet
I can't see your pics. Personally I switched over to Kodiac and never looked back. Mine were a bolt up operation. If one of the dust boots came off then yes you have or will have a water and or dirt intrusion and neither one is good.I would also recommend replacing the the surge brake unit and flushing the brake lines. No sense in pumping dirt and debris into new calipers. I know it will cost a little more but what is your rig worth? How about lost time on the water? Most importantly your life or others. I know after I did mine (no I don't have a lot of money) I felt a lot more relaxed towing 6000 LBS at 60 MPH knowing that when I needed the brakes they were going to be there.