More bow rollers for Starcraft Islander 221?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I have a question regarding my 2011, 22.5 ft Starcraft Islander 221.
It came with a new EZ Loader bunk trailer with a single bow roller. I have noticed a slight dent in the boat where it rest on the roller. I also know the road where this happened....
Anyway, would my boat benefit from some additional bow or keel support?
In the pic you can see its some distance from the bunks to the roller. There is lots of space for an additional roller.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Thats what I was thinking. Maybe an additional roller down on the keel. I wonder if I should even have a bow roller? Maybe just a solid piece of rubber would work better?
The boat pretty much floats onto the trailer and its not like I'm rolling it on.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
But this was set up by the dealer who has sold many of these boats. I wonder if EZ Loader just skimped on the bow rollers? But then I would think this trailer fits many boats between 18-22ft. It almost seems its a tad to short for this boat as my boat is 22.5 and the bow stop is as far forward as it will go.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
dealer set up is only as good as the dealer doing it. I've never bought a new boat so speaking from a service perspective

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Since the roller seems a bit high compared to my old boat, can I just use the lower hole and lower it? I've always thought the bow eye should be nearly up against the roller when the boat is in position.
Or perhaps that extra hole below the roller is to mover the entire assembly forward a few inches. Which would actually be better as far as pressure on the roller is concerned.

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander
I was trying to post to use a tie down strap if you dont already have one. The come in many different styles and prices from a few dollars to one like the link below: http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Downs/BoatBuckle/IMF14393.html Without one your bow bounces and if you crank the winch down to tight its only going to eventually tear the bow roller up. My bow roller only lasted one season and with a bow tie down strap its lasted 6 seasons and the bow does not bounce around denting the boat.

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I was trying to post to use a tie down strap if you dont already have one. The come in many different styles and prices from a few dollars to one like the link below: http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Downs/BoatBuckle/IMF14393.html Without one your bow bounces and if you crank the winch down to tight its only going to eventually tear the bow roller up. My bow roller only lasted one season and with a bow tie down strap its lasted 6 seasons and the bow does not bounce around denting the boat.

I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for the tip!
Would this put any extra pressure on the bow eye?

Thalasso

Commander
Why not add some target bunks. They will help with loading and relive some weight on the bow

Thalasso

Commander
Never heard of those either. I will look into that.

This will take the load off the front of the boat.
The only pressure on the bow eye will be what you exert on it when cranking up and securing.

Last edited: